Anyone from States have their kids home school?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phinphana, Dec 9, 2012.

1. phinphana

phinphana Member

I just need more info if anyone have school age kids have their kids home school in Vientiane?
    We might be relocating soon in a year or so and want to hear if any of you have experience? International school is way too expensive. Any suggestions appreciated.

Phinphana

2. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

I home school my kids... we tried one of the unaccredited international schools our first year here and were not real happy... was run like a business with too much emphasis on making money and not on education and they are still cramming more and more kids in there now... Vientiane International School seems to be up to snuff and is the only internationally accredited school to my knowledge but is wayyyyyy to expensive for most families. I have heard some good things about some of the other unaccredited international schools but don't have any first hand experience with any of them.

I mainly use a website called time4learning.com... cost is about 20USD for the first child and 15USD for each additional child each month. The website is great for younger elementary children but starts to peter out around 7th grade... I don't know if they plan to add more content for the older children. I supplement the website with other materials I find from the internet or have sent from the states.... As well as force them to read, read, read...

Also, VIS offers an Associate Membership which grants you access to their library (mainly why we chose to get the membership) and also enables your children to participate in their after school programs (which is a good way to meet friends). If I remember right there is a fee to register and then the 'tuition' is 250USD per child per school year. The kids get a VIS ID card and can use the facilities like any other fully paid student.

Hope this helps...

3. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

4. phinphana

phinphana Member

Thank you JK for your great info. I now have more hope if we have to move there. I have 2nd grader and preschooler kids.

Associate Membership just paid membership no other special requirements ? Do you have any friends that homeschooling? we can do homeschooling group in Vientaine just a thought.

Thank you again JK and Petrus47 for the info and websites.

Happy New Year!!

Phinphana

5. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

No special requirements that I am aware of for the VIS associate membership. I do know others that currently homeschool or have in the past and I do believe there are a few homeschool groups out there. I am open to talking more about a homeschool group... Several of our friends with children enrolled at school have their kids come over for extra help when needed.

Happy New Year