applying for uk visa

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cait, Apr 2, 2013.

1. cait

cait New Member

hey - does anyone know about the process for applying for a uk visa for non-lao and non-thai citizens when living in laos?

I know it has to be done at the visa centre in BKK and not the new embassy here in VTE, but if anyone has info on how you can travel back to laos while the visa is being processed etc that would be very helpful...

thanks so much

2. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

We had the same problem with belgian visa processing.
    We went to the consular section, in the belgian BKK embassy, with the visa applicants; we gave all the necessary documents, copies etc. and came back in VTE.
    Now that the foreigners office in Belgium has given its approval for the visas, we have to send the passport in BKK (DHL or EMS Taxipost) and they will be returned the same way.

Ain't that easy? :D

3. cait

cait New Member

Thanks Petrus - good to know I'm not the only one in this position! How long did the whole process take you? I'm hoping I will also be able to keep my passport and courier it back when necessary....

4. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Special case because long stay visas - total process 2 months, legally the foreigners office must state a decision within 6 months.
    For a touristic visa it takes only 2 weeks.
    Maybe, just like in Belgium :D, the UK embassy has its own internet site?

5. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

This is not going to be easy! I am a UK citizen and married a Lao citizen in 1999 at Sikay in Vientiane. We moved to Prajak Rd in NK and lived there for a bit before we decided to return to the UK. (This is going to be a long process and far from easy and that was in 2000). We got all the necessary papers from the UK Embassy on Wireless Rd in BKK. They want copies of bank statements, your mortgage, you need a sponsor too if you are living in rented accomodation in the UK. Then there are the interviews, can your "intended" speak English (stand alone)? she will be interviewed alone and you are not allowed to be present. Next they want proof of your employment prospects once you arrive in the UK. You have to go back to the UK alone first, then 6 weeks after that your spouse can fly in. There's no way of sugar coating this - it is the single most degrading, humiliating and thoroughly unpleasant thing I have ever done - I was, and still am ashamed to be British after the way I saw my wife was treated by my government. Our first attempt was declined by the British Government because they said her level of English was too low and did not score the required number of points. They are such self righteous, holier than thou types and they know they can do what they like with your future. The second time we passed after we appealed their little exam and went back to the UK in 2001. My wife is a Naturalised British citizen now and holds both British and Lao passports.
    My second question, what on earth do you want to go back to the UK for? - I actually call it the Yuk. They have just had the second coldest March on record, unemployment is at an all time high, house repossessions have sky rocketed. Income tax, National Insurance are at 13%. petrol is nearly $3 a litre, Diesel is even more. Council tax is over 1300GBP a year - just for water and get your bins emptied? - yeah right!. The borough council where I used to live (Solihull) lost over 3 million quid in Iceland and we had to pay it back. Well actually I didnt,.
    Go back to the UK? I think you've got a touch of the sun!. Sincerely, I wish you all the best. Paul.
    PS. Dont expect any level of help, compassion or understanding from the Britsh goverment, whether in Thailand or on the mainland.

6. cait

cait New Member

Hi guys - thanks so much for your replies and advice...however I need to clarify what my situation is (my bad for not doing so in the first post). I am a South African citizen (female) living and working in Laos, and just want a short-term tourist visa for the UK. It's far too far to go all the way back to SA just to apply for the visa, so I just wanted to know if anyone was aware of the process of doing it from here. I really only need to go for a short period, so definitely not looking to go through the process of resettlement visas etc!

Petrus - the UK embassy does indeed have its own site, but it's a little tricky to get information about my particular situation.:)

7. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

I am not 100% certain on this but I seem to remember being told that you had to apply for a UK visa in your country of citizenship. Things could have changed and I may be wrong now but Yuk visa's are the hardest to get. I remember one or two questions from earlier expeditions and they'll want you to be able to prove you have "funds" to support yourself, you'll have to show a good reason for them to believe you will leave the country after your holiday. Good luck with whatever you choose.