bedbug problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Peter

Peter Member

I am at wits end. For about 6 months now I am being bitten at night by something! The bites flare up on a weekly basis usually on my face and upper torso. They are very sore and red an last for about a week. Then a new lot of bites appear! Its driving me nuts! I have looked on the net and asked advice from many people but they all say bed bugs are very difficult to kill! I cant see any evidence of them like droppings/blood spots and I have never seen any bug! I bought a Thai chemical from a shop that kills fleas,tics and chicken lice and fumigated my house 3 times already. Still biting! There is a french guy here who says he can fumigate the house for $50 bu cant guarantee it will kill them! Can anyone help?

2. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

From what I have read, direct heat and steam is a good way to kill the adults and any eggs. A hair dyer or similar for at least 30 seconds is recommended as well as washing linens and clothes with hot water. Also, try and find insecticide with permethrin. You also have to completely disassemble bed frames and any chests or dressers to get to any potential hiding places.

Have you compared the bites you have with bed bug bite images online? It could be possible they aren't bed bugs that are biting you.

I'm not sure of the life cycle but it is possible the fumigation is only killing the adults, and the the eggs hatch and you get bitten again. But I would think that you would at least see one of the dead adults if not a live one by now, which makes me wonder if it could be some other problem... Are you positive they are bites and not a rash?
    Also, everything I have read says to get an insecticide specifically for bedbugs.
    If worse comes to worse maybe you need to dispose of any mattresses etc to be sure you completely remove any eggs...

Check wikihow.com for an interesting method of making sticky barriers with tape...

Olivier likes this.
  3. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

From what I remember about my backpacking days around Oz and NZ bedbugs only bite in straight lines, you wont just get one, you will get a line of 3 or 4. Things might have changed but in Oz we used to "bomb" the room. In other words close it all up, strip the beds, prop the mattress against a wall and buy these bombs, they are like flares and you cant return to the room for half an hour but they sure worked.

4. Peter

Peter Member

Its a mystery too me! The dermatologist at the french clinic said he didnt know what it was and put me on antibiotics.
    The french doctor at Setatirat hospital also put me on antibiotics after blood tests ruled out diabetes, Riketsia, Syphilis, kidney and liver diseases and Aids! He then suggested it could be tic bites. The dermatologist at Aek Udorn said it was definately bites. I have had an allergy test and I have a high allergic reaction to house dust and dust mites. So I think it must be dust mites which i think are called bedbugs! My plan is to buy lots of large bin bags and with tape, make a large bag to put my mattress in and seal it up with tape capturing the bugs inside (If thats where they are!)

5. JK

The problem is they could be anywhere... Behind baseboards, in cracks in the wall, in the wood frame of your bed, etc... If they are bedbugs they can survive up to a year without feeding... I don't believe dust mites and bed bugs are the same thing... http://www.mattressfirm.com/Dust-Mites-vs-Bed-Bugs-L95.aspx

The plastic and tape is a good idea but it is just the start I think... If it is dust mites that may work for you.

6. Anthony

Anthony Member

Hi,

I work for General Service Lao (GSL). As we are the ONLY company in Laos authorized to fumigate (by Lao government and Ministry of Agriculture), I would like to know who is the french guy who told you that he can fumigate your house.
    It doesn't make any sense to fumigate all the house, we can fumigate your bedroom only if this is the only place where you get bitten.
    I don't understand why this guy told you that he couldn't warranty to kill all bedbugs. If the fumigation is made correctly, we have 100% results. It's also the only solution to eradicate bedbugs.
    My staff was trained in Thailand and they have certificate for this.
    You can see what we do on our website: www.gsllaos.com.
    As we are the only one authorized to provide fumigation certificate, we fumigate goods for almost every transport company in Laos. We also used to fumigate bedbugs in hotels and privates houses.

If you need more details, we can meet to discuss about it.

Tony

7. JK

I would make sure it is bedbugs before you fumigate again... Dust mites can be treated without fumigation...

8. Peter

Peter Member

Hi Tony,
    He advertises in the yellow pages next to your ad. Bibitte busters. I actually called your company first but the Lao person who took my call very unhelpful and said they didn't have such a service. Anyway If I decide to stay in the house and the large plastic bag I put the mattress in doesn't work I will definitely connect with you again. I just learned that dust mites don't bite! They eat dead skin cells so they ain't biting me. Thanks for the link JK. very interesting.

9. JK

Hope you figure out a solution...