Brilliant good food

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul.Vientiane, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

We decided to treat ourselves to a meal out last night to celebrate the boat festival, first we went to Khop Chai Deu but they were celebrating the Oktoberfest and halloween so we decided to have a walk down the Mekong - sure it was heavin' but we stumbled on this little place called "The Spirit House" I am not sure how they arrived at the name tho, after a quick scan of the menu I noticed a very long list of spirits available so decided that was the reason for the name but then was told that it is the house of "good spirits" so I am back to square one! and I am still non the wiser really. When we arrived all the tables and chairs were still out on the banks of the Mekong from earlier in the day but we were found some others, the food though was fantastic - fish and chips, the fish in beer batter and the chips were real fat wedges, the salad was really fresh too with balsamic vinegar and proper tomatoes. The only down side was the tuk tuk driver who tried to scam me out of 50,000 Kip from Khop Chai Deu (we walked it in 15 minutes with a 4 year old). The owner (I think) is an expat of Oz as their were many references to Australia but I never met him/her so I dont really know 100% but any thoughts on where they got the name "Spirit House" from?

2. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Paul,

Where is it located? Mahosot, Don Chan Palace?
    Do you know if it's open on sunday?
    Maybe I could pop in and take a look!

:)Pierre

3. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

The best way I can think of describing its location is to walk down Setthahirat road against thew flow of the traffic until you get to the Novotel (Mercure), there are some apartments or a hotel called Mekong - - - - - - -? on your left if you have walked down or on your right if you have driven around, talk one of these little Soi's and just keep walking until you get to the river, there is a big old tree right in the middle of where they are building the new road, the Spirit House is opposite that big tree, its a wooden log cabin type building with a rickety old wooden ramp to access it because they are digging up the road again and its next to a "PINK" coloured guest house or hotel, its so misleading to look at because there is an old tuk tuk half submerged and rotting away gradually being "reclaimed" by the flora and fauna! which does nothing for first impressions but its well worth it, the food was expensive when we went because it was the boat festival and everyone was out to make a fast buck but this was worth it, I want to say its the best grub Ive tasted since I got here in 2010, I am not connected to this place in anyway - before someone suggests that I am!. Its just darn good food at a good price (except yesterday!) The Beer Lao is normally 10,000Kip for 640ml but yesterday it jumped to 15,000 but I didnt care!.