Byd F0

Discussion in 'Cars for Sale' started by lon, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lon

lon Member

Are these cars reliable? I was quoted a cash price of $8700, includes 1yr warranty, 1yr auto insurance and fully tinted windows. I got this quote from the main distributor in Vientiane, north of the airport.

I am looking for the cheapest new car I can purchase, this is the only one I can find.

2. LaoMaster006

LaoMaster006 Member

You should already known that BYD is Chinese made. It's one of the new cheapest small car you can find here. The other similar brand and size is Cherry QQ. I don't know if it's reliable or not but you can see them quite a lot on the street though now that Korean made Hyudai and Kia are becoming huge popular. The smallest Hyundai Eon is $12,900.

Many locals compare this to Chinese made motorbike and Japan made motorbike. You can find them everywhere to compare.

I would suggest to add more to buy quality Hyudai or Kia.

Anyway, BYD FO is more than enough to drive around the Capital!

3. Graham

Graham Member

I've also been researching these cars. It would seem that BYD (build your dreams) had been built on shamelessly copying other car designs (google it and check out the BMW badge rip off!), no surprises for a Chinese company.
    If you can forgive them for this then they seem to be the cheapest option around.
    I had a look at a second hand F0 (1 yr old) and took it for a test drive to see if it was still ok. It drove well enough and felt solid on the road, no rattles etc. It does feel very 'plasticy' compared to a Kia, but for around half the price, I may take the gamble. There seems to be a good after sales service as they're now promoting themselves as a serious company, so it could be the best option.

4. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

For what it's worth, if you aren't already aware, Warren Buffet has invested in BYD.

As far as quality, the jury is still out. Just realize you may have a hard time getting a similar resale value that you would with a Hyundai/Kia or Toyota. If you are here long term and don't plan to sell in a year or two it may be ok. As you say, for half the price it may be worth a shot. I considered, but ended up buying used non Chinese brands.

I have a friend that owns an MG ( Chinese now). He has driven it for several years now and has not had an issue. It was around 20k USD however...

5. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

What about the taxes for chinese cars?
    I've been told about nothing to pay or is it another urban legend?

6. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

Chinese vehicles benefit from the lowest import tax rate here in Laos which is a big factor as to why the Chinese vehicles are priced so low compared to other makes. Korean cars are the second lowest tax rate.

Whenever a dealer quotes you a brand new vehicle's price they are including the tax.

7. Kenneth Schminner

Kenneth Schminner Member

Has anyone seen dirt-cheap used F0's for sale lately?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.