Container Shipping Companies In Vientiane

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bll1234, Sep 24, 2013.

1. bll1234

bll1234 Member

I'd like to have a 20' container w/ household goods shipped from VTE to the States.

Has anyone had a 20' or 40' container shipped into or out of VTE? If so, what's been your experience and can you recommend a shipping company?

2. Englishman

Englishman Member

Only heard pretty negative stuff. Avoid JVK, all the expats I know that have used them wish they hadnt and say the same thing, "they give you one price, but when they come to get the stuff the money they want, goes up for no reason". Personal experience of JVK, they give you an estimate to get your business, tell you to box it all up but when they come to collect it they claim you have added to it. I did the shipping container "experience" but it was coming the other way and from the UK in 2010. Laos is landlocked, your stuff will first have to go by road down to Bangkok. Ours arrived at Bangkok and we were charged £800GBP tax even though we had clearly marked the bill of lading and destination address as "IN TRANSIT". I guess going OUT of Asia you wont get the corrupt government officials on the receiving end. Hope you get it sorted, sorry couldnt be of more help.:sorry:

3. Kenneth Schminner

Kenneth Schminner Member

Is it worth it to be taking all of those stuff back?
    It cost me almost $5,000 for a 20' container to get things here from Los Angeles (a nightmare). How much are you willing to spend?

4. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

And that might probably be more expensive from Asia to Western, following the global flow of commodities while on the way back containers are more often empty.

5. Englishman

Englishman Member

We paid £1700GBO which is about $2720 for a shared 20' container from Harwich in England to Bangkok. I would never do it again. It is better to try to sell your belongings, thus cutting out all the hassle and associated costs with taking stuff back. If its of great sentimental value then its worth the cost but if its easily replaceable stateside. I would sell it here. Not to mention the chances that it might go "walkies" and might get broken in transit anyway. I was stoooopid enough to value a flat screen Plasma TV, thinking "oh you cant get decent TV's in Lao" I didnt do enough research otherwise I would have discovered there is no decent TV transmitted in Lao for a Plasma TV to receive anyway. Basically, if you can replace it stateside - leave it here.:greedy::cool:

6. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Olivier,

You can dream about this, I think, in 2008 I investigated to have a container from Belgium to Laos.
    The price I was asked: 7.000 $:eek:...
    For this amount of money you can have lots of nice maydou (rosewood), furniture here.
    So, I gave or sold all what I could, on Ebay etc. and brought the remaining by plane, bit by bit :D

Reading the experience of other members, I have no regrets.

Pierre

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  7. Englishman

Englishman Member

I think Pierres words are the best thing to remember here. Just DONT DO IT:stop:. You can get what you need here for a fraction of the price compared to shipping it either to Laos or replacing from it. This is just me being nosey here but what could possibly warrant spending $5000+ to ship out of here that cant be replaced in the states - BeerLao?:hungover: A Laverda Jota cafe racer?:nailbiting:.:)

8. codemonkey

codemonkey Active Member

Sell the furniture and take some oversized luggage on your flight if you really need it. Not that cheap but still nothing compared to a container.

9. Petrus47

Put your adverts on FINDINLAO :D just for free;)

10. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

I have heard a couple of times it is more expensive from Asia to Europe than Europe to Asia... and it makes sense to me.

11. Petrus47

I perfectly agree with you. ;)
    That' why I was asking people I knew were active in this business...to my great disappointment.

12. Petrus47

Confirmation of Englishman's experience:
    http://www.findinlao.com/f/threads/never-use-jvk-mover-here-in-laos.1928/

13. Englishman

Englishman Member

We've got washing machine, 42" plasma screen TV, 2 motorbikes, beds, mattresses, clothes, printers, lappy, desktop, swings, slides and three years of associated junk, there is NO WAY I am going through the expense of shipping them anywhere. Its fiscal suicide. I wont be taking anything I cant easily carry.:)

14. bll1234

bll1234 Member

I agree, ship only as a last resort.

My situation is a bit unusual. My hobby is wood working and light steel fabrication and I've spent many years collecting tools for these hobbies. I shipped the tools in a 20' container from the States to Thailand a few years ago. (Don't ask how I got the tools from Thailand to VTE!) I used a Thai shipping agent who was great. She arranged to get the container through BKK w/o it being opened and for a fraction of the quoted Customs Fees. Unfortunately she does not do business in Laos, so this is not an option. So, I want to get a quote on shipping the tools back before I decide whether to sell them here or spend the money to send them back.

Any shipping company references would be greatly appreciated.

15. Kenneth Schminner

Kenneth Schminner Member

I used TEC Logistics to get my container from Laem Chabang to Vientiane. Try getting a quote from them for your needs:

Phonexay PHOMMACHANTHO
    H/P: +85620-5 5528914
    E-mail: phonexay.go@gmail.com
    T.E.C. Logistics Lao Co., Ltd
    N. 171 Thadeua road, Unit 11, Ban BeungkhaGnong, Sisattanak District, Vientiane, Lao P.D.R.
    Tel: (856-21) 265 045, (856-21) 260 387, Fax:(856-21)265-045
    Email: tecvte@laotel.com; vientiane@teclogistics.net Website: www.teclogistics.net Skype: tecvte

meenaa and Olivier like this.
  16. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

With a hobby like that maybe you should think about not moving so much :stop::D

Good luck and make sure to post your experience with getting your tools to your next destination

Petrus47 likes this.
  17. Englishman

Englishman Member

I think stamp collecting would weigh less and be easier to transport!:D:happy:, sorry cant help but please let us know the outcome.:)