[Closed] Crossing The Border With Lao Registered Motorbike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ian Michael, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Ian Michael

Ian Michael Member

Can any one tell me if motor cycles are allowed to travel across the Friendship bridge to Nong Khai and back, Do i have to have a vehicle passport, the bike is Lao registered with white foreigner plates.

2. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Good question for a "bad" answer: I don't know:(
    I fear the rule is the same as for the motorbikes with "standard" lao plates: no crossing at all for motorbikes.
    If you are the authorised registered owner of the motorbike, try to get the yellow book that will let you go through.

Wish you success,

Pierre

3. Ian Michael

Ian Michael Member

Thanks Pierre, yes i am the registered owner and have the yellow book ..will give it a go

Best regards Ian

4. Petrus47

To avoid any confusion I should have written: the yellow book which allows temporary export of your vehicle.
    The "standard" yellow book is the one with the registration of the vehicle.

This is it:

export vehicule.jpg

5. Ian Michael

Ian Michael Member

Oh Ok.. i only have the yellow registration book, can you tell me where i can obtain the transport permit in Vte

Regards Ian

6. Petrus47

I think you have to go to the Ministery of Communications, Transports etc. at the end of the Patuxay place on the right when you come from the city center.

Min com.JPG

I guess they will ask you an authorisation from your "employer", perhaps have it done by a lao.

7. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Member

Yes 100% You can cross the friendship bridge in to Nong Khai, it doesn't matter what colour your number plates are, the only rule is that the bike must be 250cc + which I was told is in place to stop the locals crossing backwards and forward on their little bikes and clogging things up.

My bike is registered in my wife's name and has a yellow plate and no problems! All you need is the book as above which is a vehicle passport, other than that it's just the standard forms to fill out as you would in a car.

8. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

I was under the impression the only 250+ cc bikes were registered with the white plates with blue letters, at least legally. I'm assuming your wife is Lao supernova.... She didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary to register a 250+cc bike with yellow plates?

9. Ian Michael

Ian Michael Member

My bike is a Honda PCX150 so i guess i wont be going to Nong Khai on it.. I wanted to bring my big bike from Australia here but was told were only allowed 250cc or less so i bought this one new here.. should have gone for a 250

thanks guys .. best regards Ian

10. JK

Ian, may be worth a shot talking to someone at the office Petrus mentioned above... you never know what can happen here. ;)

11. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Member

My bike is 250cc so no problems there, the only bikes bigger than 250cc and registered legally are those with white and blue embassy number plates as you have said.

As for crossing the bridge on a smaller bike you could always just give it a try! I rode a Honda Wave from Cha-Am In Thailand up through to Laos where I crossed in at Pakse, I was then told that you should not cross on a smaller bike but they let us anyhow..So I'd say just give it a go! I mean it's not that the friendship bridge is a long ride out of town if you do get turned back hey.

12. JK

AH, I see. Thanks supernova.

13. Petrus47

You should carefully read (it's in english as well) the temporary import document of your vehicle to Thailand.
    They can charge you (up to) 3.000.000 (three millions) THB if you don't re-export within something like 1 month I think. ;)

14. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

I did exactly the same, wanted to bring mine from UK, was told there is a law against anything bigger than 250cc (is there, I see loads of big bikes here annoyingly!?) so I bought a click.