Electric shocks from mains supply

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RK, Jun 21, 2013.

1. RK

RK New Member

Hi,

My computer 'vibrates' slightly when I plug it into the mains socket in my house. It also, once in a while, can give a small electric shock. I have noticed other items (metallic) that also vibrate - kettle, stereo etc when plugged in.

Does anybody else have this problem? And more improtantly, did you find a solution?

Cheers.

2. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Hi there,

Try unplugging your computer and plug it again, reversed, if necessary unplug and change all your computer devices. ;)
    Looks stupid with AC but it worked for me.

Pierre

3. RK

RK New Member

Thanks Pierre. Unfortunately I didn't get the same good result as you :confused:

4. Petrus47

Are you sure you have the right voltage?

5. RK

RK New Member

The house, the computer or my brain? :)

The computer is a mac 100-240V 50-60Hz - which I guess should be fine. Though I am far from being an expert.

6. Petrus47

Mains, of course ;)
    If you know someone, maybe yourself, who speaks lao, I could give you the phone n° of an electrician.
    Or ask your landlord to have it checked up.

7. RK

RK New Member

Said I wasn't an expert ;).

Thanks for the advice. I will speak with my landlord.

Cheers

8. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

I am not an expert either but my guess is the house is not grounded correctly. Either way you will need to find someone to take a look as it is not a job for the untrained. Hopefully you will have success with your landlord but be prepared to take care of it yourself (or if you have not paid for a considerable amount of time up front you can simply move...)

9. RunBear

RunBear Member

My first house with old electric wires, that gave us shocks.... we told landlord she tried to replaced the main wire from city to the house, but still got shock.
    WE moved into a new house it was the same problem....We hired an electrician to replace by a few electric wires...NO MORE SHOCKS. Ah..either by bad electric wire connection or by low quality electric wire, or electric wires are too old

10. Petrus47

:D:D:D

11. RK

RK New Member

Thanks JK and Runbear, this gives me a lot more information to go on!

The house is newly built (less than 5 years old), so it sounds like either a bad connection or low quality materials rather than old wiring. Either way, an electrician is definitely required.

Cheers.