Film Photography

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N_R, Sep 24, 2013.

1. N_R

N_R Member

Dear members,

I'm new in town and my hobbie is film photography. If there are any other enthusiasts out there can they tell me if it is possible to get Black and White film in Vientiane and if there is any shop in town that develops and/or scans film?

Cheers,

Nelson

2. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Nelson,

B/W films look a little bit like dinosaurs :rolleyes: now that (nearly) all cameras are digital.
    I don't know about films, and certainly not B/W, but I had some negatives scanned at the following shop: Max Photo Kodak (red square on the map)
    Max Photo Kodak.JPG
    There are probably some other shops who will do it;) also.
    Photoshop is the ideal tool to remove those ugly scratches due to age :cool:, negatives 6 x 9 cm - 60 years old :D

You are welcome if you want to talk about photography.

Cheers,

Pierre

3. N_R

N_R Member

Well... dinosaurs they may be, but it's still a great feeling to listen to that click of the shutter and not imediately look to the back of the camera. The waiting for the development and the planning of 36 frames instead of 250 files. But obviously digital made it all different, and I too shoot digital. However I prefer film for certain types of pictures or situations.

I'll visit the shop, although I'm pretty confident that they don't develop film, they probably just scan it. But developing is not hard, if they don't do it I can probably do it at home.

Thanks for the tip!

4. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Nelson,

Did not mean to hurt you, writing about dinosaurs ;), I was so happy to shoot again and again when digital appeared.
    Many, many years ago I developed B/W myself too.
    Just need some chemicals, maybe a bottle of vinegar :eek: and purified water:rolleyes:, preferebly a place with no dust.

I hear the clik of the shutter with my digital camera too, and there are tools on my computer to give quite the same result, I guess you know about that.

I think you could be able to find the chemicals somewhere in Vientiane because there are still places where they use x-ray photographs.

Happy shooting,

Pierre