FindinLao Discussion & Feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olivier, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

If you'd like to suggest a tweak, adjustment or want to discuss about FindinLao, use this thread.

Petrus47 likes this.
  2. bryanforst

bryanforst Member

On those rules of use you might want to add

"Please dont feed the trolls. Some people are just going to be angry or abusive so dont respond to their posts, it just encourages them."

;-)

Great site btw!

Olivier, Petrus47 and JK like this.
  3. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

4. bryanforst

bryanforst Member

5. Clyde_T_Jenkins

Clyde_T_Jenkins Member

What is the ultimate mission statement of this website? Would you like it to be something like jclao or internations, or is it solely for discussions? I would like to see some more services in addition to the forums, since Internations is barely used but reputable, jclao doesn't have a great forum section but has good information and other services, and findinlao has good forums/participation and structure.

I bet you could sell some advertising, too. No harm in making some money to improve the site as long as you keep it unobtrusive.

With the right business plan I bet this website could become a pretty big one.

6. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

I will furnish you with the information I have regarding the word "troll". basically it depends ebtirely on whether you are using "troll" as a noun or as a verb. As a noun it has two meanings I am aware of now, 1) a legendary beast based on folklore, sometimes as a giant and in older Germanic tales, a dwarf. 2)The action of "trolling" for fish.
    As a verb, To fish by trailing a baited line behind a boat.
    I am sure there are more, I will have a better look tonight.;)

7. Olivier

Findinlao was started as a hobby in 2009 and back at that time there were no a big plan as I just wanted to do a useful website and force myself to write in English. I know that we need to improve in order to stay relevant and useful, to have fun and learn new things... There were some big changes in October 2012 with a fresh new interface (and a new name - dropping the s in Findinlaos). In February 2013, Pierre and James have accepted to help with the moderation...

We are really happy to have 10,000+ visits per month and a growing community :cool: but I still continue to distribute business card :photogenic: and to try to tell people that Findinlao exists.

That's interesting. What would you like to see?

I think it would be nice to have some high quality guides on living in Laos, a more comprehensive, practical and up-to-date calendar of events, and some news coverage with an everyday selection of the most interesting articles in the press. I also would like to keep the simplicity of the interface and at the same time avoiding it to be boring for members that keep coming. There is also the need to be more accessible to people that are not comfortable with english language or using a forum.
    Advertising could be a solution to finance part of this. But I would want "responsible ads", related to Laos and that would interest our community. That would be a real commercial job to look for advertisers.

If you have ideas or want to contribute in a way or another, we would like to hear from you.

8. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

I have made DDD aware of your site now to advertise for jobs etc. DDD have more than one office but not so sure about the relevance as they are in Cambodia, Africa and the US.

Olivier likes this.
  9. Clyde_T_Jenkins

Clyde_T_Jenkins Member

Thanks for the information, Olivier. I think you hit the nail on the head, referring to the fact that, for people that come to the site regularly, there isn't much except for the forums, and if they have read them all they will leave the site. Not saying that you should do this, but to give you an idea, jclao.com partners with services that expats frequent or are looking for, and that make the website very useful for someone moving to laos, someone who is looking for health insurance, etc. They even have a ticker at the bottom for the newest releases found at Senglao.

I think that pulling headlines from VTE times, kpl.net.la, and even CNN or BBC for big international news would be nice and put it into a "news" section. SEO for them, but a more rich website for you. Perhaps having an "expat services" or "services in Laos" section would get you some traffic that isn't focused on the forums if it provides helpful and useful information. Not knowing where the majority of your traffic comes from I wouldn't be able to tell you if this is the right market or not.

Regarding advertising, I think that if done right, people don't mind it. Of course you don't want to advertise for a Mercedes Benz or for McDonald's, but I have seen many local companies advertise on sites that are frequented by Expats (look at facebook, too). All you need is a good pitch and they can be sold.

10. bryanforst

bryanforst Member

I would like to see local services, events added and local news.
    I dont really care about international headlines because i get them from somewhere else.

The forum is great mainly because of the participation of everyone.

11. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

I think that the one thing every single person uses in Laos is money, of one sort - some use Dollars, some use Baht, some use Kip - loads of variables but the exchange rates would be a big plus, maybe just the main ones though (Dollar/Kip) Dont really think we need to know the Matabele Gumbo bean vs the Cypriot pound, although i am sure they have their followers:greedy::happy:

12. Petrus47

Is it this you mean?
    http://www.findinlao.com/f/threads/cross-currency-rates.1472/

13. BipedalPrimate

BipedalPrimate Member

Hi all,
    I lived in Hanoi for two years before Laos, and there is a marvelous site for expats there that could serve as a reference point for possible directions for findinlao. I'm not interested in promoting the site, so instead of the url, you can simply google 'new hanoian' if curious. While not all of its elements would be relevant to this site, I think some might be embraced by falang in Laos.

Their advertising is entirely local to the city, and some businesses pay the site for a premium membership for better ad placements. While the amount of ad presence has grown a bit lately, (it used to be slightly more low key), but the fact that all ads are for in-country businesses, and that all of them are relevant to expats keeps the site feeling true and intimate. I'm sort of familiar with how they work with local businesses to get cash but also give them something effective to reach customers that want to be reached, so let me know if you want to discuss. The all-local nature of the ads keeps it from being cheesy and (usually) breeds synergy between expats and local business.
    In terms of ads here, I think Olivier's style makes it clear that there's zero risk of gaudy, garish, or offtopic ads, and I echo the above comment that anyone providing an amazing site like findinlao definitely deserves some compensation for their time and the service rendered to all of us users.

On other above topics, I'd vote no for news, and a big yes for local events and user tips about Vientiane businesses.

:)

Olivier likes this.
  14. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

Hi Oliver,

As you know ive posted a few times on here, and find the site very useful.
    One thing that would have been very helpful to me before i moved to Laos would have been a beginners guide / contact points / names where i could find help on arrival.
    In VTE there are some great services run by Laos and Expats, that offer assistance but do not make it onto WWW. Mr Sai at Saiawardz for example.
    It may be good to have a beginners section, for newbies, with little or no experiance of Laos. Even shopping for food can be tricky when you first arrive, especially with you kids, so some info on supermarkets, good Laos markets, and alike would be great.
    Also a recruitment section where people without work can advertise themselves. Why no-one has come up with a recruitment agency here in laos is beyond me.

15. phinphana

phinphana Member

I am interested in recruiting business though. Glad you mentioned navydoubs 1

16. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

Someonereally should look at a recruitment agency. So difficult to find staff here. Just a friend of a friend or family whoich always ends in tear.

17. Olivier

@Clyde_T_Jenkins @bryanforst @BipedalPrimates @navydoubs @phinphana

Thanks for your feedback and ideas. This summer will see an update of the website with the introduction of a new section to findinlao. Will keep you updated, so stay tuned :)

18. Petrus47

19. Olivier

I have been a bit lazy busy lately with other things. Paisai facebook page is an excellent source of information https://www.facebook.com/paisai.magazine but I agree we should update this forum more often.
    All members are more than welcome to post news and share with findinlao community.

20. Xayprani

Xayprani New Member

Thank you Olivier for your answer.
    Yes, I will look at Pasai. I know that it's exist for a while now.

Regards.