How long am I allowed to have a Lao vehicle in Thailand and visa versa?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angus, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Angus

Angus New Member

All I really want to do is rent a vehicle for my week off but it doesn't seem as easy as it sounds.
    Europcar has it in their conditions that you must have a Lao licence for a year and an international licence. I have had my Lao licence for less than a year and do not have an international licence. Not sure if they check all this before you take the car but it may not be in your favour if you have an accident!
    Anyway, now I am considering buying a car and I want to find out the rules surrounding taking a Lao car into Thailand and Taking a Thai car into Laos.
    Any info on this will be much appreciated!

2. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

I would talk to Europcar first to make sure re the dual license.... Our vehicles are Lao registered and can go into Thailand for up to 30 days before the 'visa' expires. You can get a vehicle passport for around 150,000 kip which is then used to cross the border.

Renting vehicles here is a dicey prospect for the vehicle owner. If you are involved in an accident (especially while driving a rental) expect to be held at fault whatever the actual situation.

International licenses can be had here in Laos as well... I just don't recall the process or requirements off the top of my head.

3. RunBear

RunBear Member

What I knew was you need an international drive license to drive in Thailand, Laos one wouldn't be acceptable.
    If you rent a car it often comes its passport. If you buy a car with Laos plate, it takes about 2 days to make a passport for it (sometime pre. owner has already made one0, if you buy a car with white plate, it takes about 3 months to have its passport and costly.

PS: from Laos drive license you can apply for an international one (I think). Go to some driving school and ask them, they do it too. just pay!

good luck.

4. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Not quite sure about this ;)
    I was stopped several times at a police checkpoint on the way to Udon Thani, and my lao driving licence was accepted without any problem.

5. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Right hand drive in Lao, ... wish you good luck :D
    Furthermore, importing second hand cars in Laos is not accepted, to my knowledge.
    Except as spare parts :confused: