Info on Accomodation

Discussion in 'Houses for Rent in Laos' started by Ian Lacey, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian Lacey

Ian Lacey Member

Hi there,

My name is Ian and I will be moving to Vientiane in two weeks with my girlfriend. I am looking to find out some information on the best way to search for accomodation - primarily apartments - in Vientiane. I have been browsing rentsbuy.com as it seems to have many properties but not sure if this is the best or usual way to search. I've been looking here too but would really appreciate if anybody had some information on websites, a forum or place in Vientiane to go upon arrival to begin the hunt?

Thanks a million,
    Ian.

2. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

There are a few other sites you may want to check out just realize that some may not have been updated in awhile and the vast majority of rentals are not listed online... jclao.com and saiawardz.com are two... Myself and others on this forum may be able to help further if you provide more info like the area you are looking in etc... I've seen apartments for anywhere from USD200 up to 2500/month... A lot depends on location and amenities as well as quality... Also be prepared to be asked for six months to a year rent upfront... Best bet is to plan on spending a lot of time driving or biking or 'tuk tukking' around looking at rentals...

3. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

A word of caution about Rentsbuy, the website is old and not updated regularly, replying to a customers email is "not a priority" either so dont wait for them to write back. They ignore most emails unless they think there is a smell of the folding stuff. By far your best bet is to use this site and others like it before you get here. Also be prepared to haggle, dont let the agent or landlord know you like the property, point out the bad things - not the good, our house was advertised at 800 a month, we got them down to 600 - just by pointing out the negatives and not highlighting the positives - in other words "minimize" dont "emphasize". Also if your landlord wants the rent paid into a BCEL bank account - forget it, you will be waiting for over two hours in a queue, especially if its lunchtime or "nap" time, I walked out of a BCEL branch in Chantabouly after waiting 27 minutes and their head office is even worse - I was in there 74 minutes before I walked out - all I was doing was TRYING paying money in to a friends account, also their website doesnt work either!. I saw an article once that said land in central Vientiane was on a par with Paris - so be prepared, Vientiane is no longer a cheap place to "lay your head". ;)

4. Ian Lacey

Ian Lacey Member

Thanks for the advice lads. We'll be arriving in just over a week but I think biding some time in a guesthouse will be the best option and looking from there. Thanks for the heads up on rents, we'll definately be looking for a place of value but when the market is new, it's tough to understand immediately so we'll look around for a short while at least.

5. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

Do you speak Lao? if you have a "friend" who can help negotiations in Lao that is very worthwhile. In Lao there is this "invisible price tariff" one price for locals and one price for falangs, needless to say the falang price will have been inflated by at least 20%. My wife and I were recently looking at cars and on visits to "dealers" we were quoted a whole host of vastly differing prices depending on whether my Lao wife went alone and when I went alone (my wife is Lao, I am a brummie). Before you say "yes" to a price for anything think about this: If the "deal" seems too good to be true it probably is!. Alternatively "sleep on it". Nothing happens in Lao with any sort of urgency, except food so it will still be there tomorrow - dont commit to anything you have doubts about.;)

6. Ian Lacey

Ian Lacey Member

We don't speak Lao but it may be possible to get someone to come along with us while we are there. The only issue at the beginning is that we would need to view in the evenings if it were possible but the weekend works too so it's trying to get as many viewings into a short time frame. A quick question to add aswell... I see many places have internet/wi-fi listed in apartments but if it's not included, would you recommend getting a router or a dongle? We'd like to try get some decent connection there with a good service provider. Thanks for all the info!

7. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

As far as the Internet goes, it really depends on what you need it for... If its just to check email and do a bit of surfing a dongle is probably better as you can take it with you anywhere you go. ETL offers a 3G service with unlimited data for 4k kip per day if you have a device that accepts a SIM card, so that could be another option. I've used Planet Online WiMAX and Unitel ADSL at home and haven't had any problems... Just realize that depending where you end up you may be limited in your choice of provider... Costs vary depending on connection...

8. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

Totally agree with JK, a dongle is the best route to take for now - get settled first. I have a Beeline 21Mbps USB dongle, which costs 130,000 for 30 days and is unlimited. The dongle cost 350,000 plus 130,000 for one month so initially (if you went with this option) you have an outlay of 480,000 or $60. Basically, its "you pay your money and take your pick" dependent on your budget or needs.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.