Info wanted on Demak motorbikes

Discussion in 'Bicycle, Motorcycle' started by Mr.John, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.John

Mr.John Member

I'm thinking of buying a Demak motorbike. They have a branch on Luangprabang road ( on way to airport). They are a Malaysian company. The one I am looking at is the Combat model. It's 150cc engine. It costs $2500. They also have mopeds and off road bikes. Can anyone give me some advice on these bikes? Are they reliable? Do you have one? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Costa

Costa Member

I do have a friend who owns a Demak moped. I rode it and found that it gives a smoother ride than the locally assembled Honda Wave (he had to change the piston after a year). There are a bunch of falangs riding the enduro models here in Vientiane too. The price you mentioned is a bit too steep for a not-so-popular brand but it's new and it's your call. It also depends on how you are planning on riding the bike. I still do prefer the decade old Honda XR/Baja. :happy:

3. Lao2Stroker

Lao2Stroker Member

As you said, the Demak is made in Malaysia. They are the "standard issue" police bikes, so that must say something for thier build quality. Proton cars aren't too bad, same production.

Now, truth be told, there is no comparison as Costa says....an equivalent Honda will give you much more pleasure, trouble free, even at 20 years old, than any new Demak. You get what you pay for. This is an expensive step up, barely, from a Chinese money pit.

I also own 4 new Honda CRFL250s, the ones made in Thailand. And IMO, they are pretty crap too...not even close to Jap build quality. Metallurgy is just for shame...parts bend if you look at them too hard. Agian, you get what you pay for, and it is cheap at about $4k USD.

Finally, ask your self, what is your use? As a commuter, around town, prolly it'll be "ok". If you want to ride off road, you might as well toss your money in the Klong. Don't do it.

As for a "bunch of farangs riding the Enduro model here"...that's interesting. I have never in 6 years seen a Demak enduro on the road, and I feel I'm pretty dialed in to the enduro scene here, but hey, maybe I'm driving too fast on my KTM ;) If that's true, I'd seek them out and find what they say 1st hand.

Sok dee

Eric

1 person likes this.
  4. Costa

Costa Member

My mistake about the enduro version. Saw two of the motard Demaks ridden by falangs around the Mekong (Fa Ngum) area. Nice sounding machines but yes, I won't bet my money on them. Btw, I rarely see KTMs around Vientiane Eric except for those military version.:woot: You're right that KTMs are ridden ninja-lightning-fast!

5. Graham

Graham Member

Hi, I am one of the elusive owners of the aforementioned Demaks!
    I bought a Demak DTM 150 from the dealership on the way to the airport. I was very happy with it and as a first off-road bike (I had them put off-road tyres on it) it was perfect; not too much power but enough for the outskirts of VTE where I live.
    In other words, if you're new to off-road, want to explore around VTE (just out of town is kind of off-road and the bike floats over potholes, etc) or just want a bit more power than a moto can offer (super safe around town, especially with the extra height), this would be perfect.
    It did lack the power of a 250cc obviously, but they have 200cc version as well now, which will be closer, for 30,000,000 Kip.
    I recently sold it for reasons unrelated the the build / ride quality, (needed the cash) and was sad to see it go.
    I've also borrowed a Demak moto before and it was MUCH smoother than my Kolao Sonata 2 (which I bought new).
    The dealership has moved near to the Southern bus station, I'm going there today to check out the MS110, for around 10,000,000 Kip ($1,250); I'll post again if I buy it.
    If I had to sum up the brand, I'd say that they're a very happy medium between Kolao and Honda (closer to Honda).
    ps I know more than most because one of my gardeners works at Demak as a mechanic which I didn't know before I turned up to look at the 150; perfect coincidence. So, if I buy the MS110 today I'll have an 'on site' mechanic.

Attached Files:

6. Graham

Graham Member

Hi again, I did buy a bike today but not the MS110. They have a brand new model which has the same engine,suspension as the MS 110, but different styling:
    1. 'Day lights'; LED lights on the front of the bike for more visibility, safety. Maybe they'll help at night too.
    2. Rev counter.
    3. Drum brakes at the back which they say are better in the mud / rain (maybe because it's enclosed?).
    4. General upgraded styling.
    Any questions, ask away :)
    Graham.
    ps I've attached a location screenshot from my iPad. It's on the left as you leave town. My other pics are 1.9MB each but won't upload. If you need pics of the bikes, etc PM your email.

Attached Files:

7. capri84

capri84 Member

Anyone know small reliable model for ladies from Demak? what wud be the price range- brand new

8. Graham

Graham Member

The motos are suitable for women, or for an extra feminine bike they have a pink 80cc auto with small wheels. I wouldn't recommend this for out of town, even remotely :)

9. capri84

capri84 Member

Graham, wat wud be the price for the 80cc one? i ll use the bike for running errands/groceries( around town only).

10. Graham

Graham Member

If you like, PM me your email and I'll send you pics of the bikes. I have one of the auto, sorry I didn't ask the price, I have my limits and a small pink 80cc auto wasn't really for me. Their phone number is 020 55397629, 77451353 / 55528228; as per the front of the showroom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.