Jeep fan club

Discussion in 'Communities, Activities & Events' started by Petrus47, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Anyone interested in starting a Jeep fan club?
    Organize meetings, rallies.
    Exchange tips and tricks, addresses, spare parts.

;)

2. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

you looking to start a specifically Jeep club? I have an 86 sami that is in the middle of a long term 'restoration'...

3. Petrus47

All "jeep" 's are welcome. Willys, Mitsu, ... and yours of course.

:) Pierre

4. JK

sounds good... just received the latest package of parts today... should have the sami back on the road in a day or two... What 'Jeep' do you have?

5. Petrus47

My Jeep is a refurbished "long" Willys CJ3 with a japanese diesel engine.
    I guess it must have stayed in Laos for a (very) long time.
    I'm using it on a daily basis.

6. Petrus47

Hi JK,

When your Sami will be back on the road again, maybe we could have a drink somewhere in the city.
    If you haven't tasted belgian beers yet, I could have you discover some at the Chokdee cafe.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Pierre

7. JK

Hey Pierre,

I'm hoping to have it back up and running by the end of this week but most likely it won't be ready til after this weekend.... Have been to busy to get to it as quickly as I wanted... I'll post again when it is ready to go and I'll for sure take you up on your offer for a drink... :D

talk to you soon...

8. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

[thread UAZ Jeep in Laos]

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone had owned or had any info on these.

Ive seen one today. Doesnt look to be in bad condition, usual knocks and bumps, engine nice and clean running, seems like a Russian Landrover. Its cheap, and everyone who has seen my posts knows i need the cheapest car in Laos, but wondered if anyone knows anything about them?? Parts??
    Wife is from Saravanh so should be good for that trip.

Any info gladly welcomed.

Note - Olivier if this is in the wrong section apologies, maybe need a motoring section??

9. Petrus47

Hi there,

This is why I'm trying to launch a jeep fan club (http://www.findinlao.com/f/threads/jeep-fan-club.1037/)
    and when JK will have his Sami up and running maybe we can meet together. You are welcome for a belgian beer.

For the UAZ you're writing about, I saw one in perfect condition for sale some time ago at the garage where I go for my Jeep.
    Believe me or not, it was sold 7.000 USD. So if you can get a good price, go go go.

;)Pierre

10. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

Its $4000, looks ok, and im told these things are basically a russian Land Rover and will run forever. I dont mind spending $1000 on it if its worth having???

11. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

I have merged the two jeep threads but you can always open a motoring thread if you want.

12. laurip

laurip Member

Motivational video for future UAZ owners

13. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

Mmmmmm doesnt sound great does it.

14. Petrus47

Is it this you think you would like to buy?:D:D:D

15. JK

funny stuff laurip.... :D

there is one for sale over near the big four way traffic light past the ITECC and Lao Thani Toyota if you are still interested and would like to compare... no idea how much he is asking or what shape it is in....

quick search online brought up the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAZ-469

16. JK

Anyone have an idea as to what they are getting for the brand spanking new Jeep Rubicons I've been seeing running around town lately? I'm fairly certain that they imported the US Market Rubicions meaning they got the petrol engines instead of the awesome 2.8L diesels available in the European markets... As much as I would like to know, I'm certain I'll be sorry I asked...

17. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

JK thats the one ive been and looked at.

Considering a new Kia sportage or Hyundai Starex now.

Starex seems a good deal for what you get, although you are essentailly driving a van!

I know there Chinese and they have a pretty bad name but the BYD S6 and Cherry Tigo are really good value. 3 years warrenty and less than 20k usd. Its the most tempting so far.

18. Petrus47

Show that little movie to the vendor and ask for a discount:rolleyes:

In Belgium they sell the Wrangler Rubicon around 25.000 €, try to import it here and you double this with taxes.

BuildYourDream is partly owned by Warren Buffet, does that sound as a good reference for you. I see them as more reliable than the Cherry.

19. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

Its got every single toy under the sun leather, TV, parking cams, Climate, Elec everything, and looks pretty good too, its not going out of VTE so roads shouldn't be too hard on it.

Very tempting at such a cheap price.

20. JK

I understand what you mean about the Chinese cars as far as tempting price related to other manufacturers. I can tell you from personal experience with a friend of mine's Chinese van (not sure of the brand) that it cured me of wanting to buy a Chinese car... no problems with the engine or drivetrain (yet) but everything else from seats to door handles are breaking at an alarming rate... he can't open one side's sliding door.... all this within the first six months of ownership... and it came with a warranty... :confused:

I did see a flyer for an older gen Mitsubishi Pajero for 6k posted at the VIS bulletin board. If you haven't seen that one I can get the number for you if you would like.