Laos B2 Visa

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Byze, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Byze

Byze New Member

Hi All
    I am searching for advice in regards to the correct procedure for a B2 Visa application. I have recently submitted my CV/Certificates and have applied for a volunteer position to teach English. I envisage the school can assist with this process; however, I am seeking prior knowledge to this process
    Cheers

2. Englishman

Englishman Member

Hi, I was first teaching at Souksavath College in VTE. The B2 process is long winded, time consuming and totally riddled with bureucratic gobbly de gook. Anyway. First if your employer is your sponsor, you have to get a letter from them to confirm your date of appointment and salary etc, they will need your passport/s. They will give you this letter, you then have to exit Laos and re enter to get it activated. When you return you will need to give your passports back to your sponsor so they can give them to the immigration office (yet again) who will issue you with a long stay permit and a work permit. They vary in length depending on what your sponsor wants to pay. I was already in VTE when I applied for my first B2's. One for me, one for my wife and our daughter just needed the long stay permit. Anyway I thought because we had a "friend" in immigration it would be cheaper - it isnt. First ones cost us $1650 or $650 each. My wife has dual nationality (wont go into that one) and a UK and Lao passport so no longer needs one. The next one sponsor of mine was an NGO called DDD, they only wanted to go for 6 months validity so that was $400 and something. This last one was done from Luang Prabang which is where I now work ( career change). This was by far the most stressful ever. The B2 cost my employer $920, then there was three return air tickets back down to VTE so I saw little change from $1500. Thankfully my employer paid the $920. My employer gave me the letter, then a flight down to VTE, then a trip across the bridge out of Lao and back in again - allow a whole day to cross the bridge if you try it on a Saturday.
    Your sponsor or employer takes the first step - He/she gets the approval letter and pays the "fee" - gives you the letter - you exit Lao and re enter paying the standard VOA "fee" - give your passport back to your sponsor - sponsor gives it back to immigration - immigration pass it through every conceivable department from forestry to astro nuclear physics - rubber stamp it - give you your passport back + long stay permit (little beige book) + work permit (little blue book).
    To be fair, the Friendship bridge border crossing is under some quite heavy refurb work, the queues might subside during the week. Its not a quick process and far from easy or stress free. I dare say some people will say they crossed the bridge and back in under 5 minutes but that is being extremely economical with the truth.:cool:;)

3. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

PM sent

4. Jason G

Jason G Member

Just a quick update on the friendship bridge process.

Went today, in and out in 10 minutes. No idea what all the fuss is about.
    It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that you need to purchase a passcard. This new booth is the first thing you see as you arrive at immigration.
    How anyone can miss this is completely beyond me.

On the original post. B2 process is easy if your company sorts it out for you. Yes you have to leave and come back into the country again, after that is simple and quick,

In summary for the border crossing, if your a complete and utter idiot you will struggle with anything in life.
    If your relatively normal the border crossing is easy and straight forward.

5. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

@Jason G You can make your point without being insulting (kindly read forum rules again).
    @Englishman (or should I say Paul?) You have a certain talent for animating (some would say trolling) these forums. Hope it will finish better than last time.

6. Englishman

Englishman Member

@jasonG - yes, course you did??????.(Insert sarcastic emoticon)It takes ten minutes just to fill in the departure/arrivals card.