Lawnmowers In Laos?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul.Vientiane, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

This might seem like a really dum question but where can I buy a proper lawn mower from in Vientiane, I dont want one of those things on a stick that sounds like p*s*ed off wasp stuck in a tin can, strimmer I think they are called, but thats all I can see, I have been to the Honda shop on Setthahirat Rd and he says he only services them he doesnt sell them? - I mean a flymo hover mower that collects the cuttings, that type of thing. Any ideas??????????

2. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

On the Asean road (see the green point on the attached), also called T2 road there are two shops selling all kind of motors and accessories.
    I bought my Honda "p*s*ed off wasp stuck in a tin can, strimmer" there :rolleyes:

Three years now and still working well :)

PS do not worry about the circus mentioned on the map, this happens to be wrong.
    The "old chinese market" is there.

Regards,

;) Pierre

Old chinese market.jpg

3. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

We've been on the hunt for the elusive lawn mower as well... outside of a few postings on the various boards around town (they sell in about 5 minutes it seems) the only place we've been able to find them are in Thailand. Very expensive and then you have the border to deal with... so we haven't gone down that road. We have just ended up paying someone to do it for us after we moved back into the city a few months ago. Great thing about living outside of town is that the cows do it for you for free...

4. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

Thanks again Pierre, I will go check it out tomorrow, I teach up that way (sort of). Its really weird about most things here because you can "usually" be directed to a "man who can" or a "fixer" but decent TV, decent roads, honest used car prices, a driver (other than a tourist) who is capable of the task and a good lawnmower are impossible to find!!!!!.
    JK : We also ended up paying for a local man to come into the garden and cut the grass too, first he "promised" he would have a lawn mower that collected the cuttings - he did not, he literally spent the entire day (daylight hours) walking up and down with his angry wasp thing decapitating everything, then announced to my wife that he had "finished" and wanted 100,000 Kip. We collected 5 black dustbin bags of cuttings. We had to pay the binmen 5000 kip a bag to get rid of it. It cost us 125000 Kip in the end! still an absolute bargain when compared to rip off Britain (which is one of the reasons we packed up and left) but why cant people just tell me the truth? if he had a proper lawn mower I would have been quite happy to pay him 200,000! all he has done now is got himself sacked. If you want it done properly and on time - do it yourself !. The lesser spotted lawn mower will always be, I think, a most reclusive and much prized object of desire.

5. khun lung

khun lung New Member

there is a hardware shop on thadeua, around 50 meters from soul kitchen. i´ve seen lawnmowers there. not sure about prices or quality, though.

6. JK

I feel your pain Paul as we went through quite a few guys before we found one that would actually show up. The guy we use now only does the 'cutting' and we do the raking and sweeping. He charges us 150000kip but our yard is fairly large. I can provide his number if you would like until you find a lawn mower. He shows up early much to the chagrin of our neighbors but there is no drama and he is a very nice guy.

I don't usually mind doing lawn work but toting those big trimmers around is hell on my lower back. I'm sure sometime in the near future we will just get a mower from Thailand... Maybe if their are enough people interested we could do some sort of 'timeshare' and split the cost of the mower.... Just a thought...

7. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

8. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

Thank you to everybody for all your advice and information. I think I am going to pack up teaching, sell my motorbike (The Lao people in cars make it certain death. The Americans have "vehicular homicide", the Brits have "causing death by reckless/dangerous driving" and "manslaughter" here we have "assisted suicide by Lao driver". God, I dont arf moan!!!!. I wish I had a quid for every moronic driver on these roads, I could open anything!!!!!!!!
    I am going to buy a lawnmower (or two) and set up a falang in Lao" grass cutting service, a "reliable" (the clue is in the word) TV service, a "no power outages" electric company, a used car dealership with cars at UK prices (not the "I wish" prices here). Heinz baked beans, HP sauce, Marmite, Walkers crisps, good hard cheese, all in my proper bread shop.
    Mmmmm, think that covers todays gripes and "wish list". Thanks again to everybody who posted ideas and suggestions about the "lesser spotted lawn mower in Laos" maybe its an extinct species?.
    My mother is visiting us from Nov 21 - Dec 05 from England (oh whoooooopeeeeee dooooo!):confused: so I will be out showing her the many "delights" and "privilege's of living in Vientiane:eek: . The wonderfully "honest" pricing structure;). The attention paid to being on time:D. The wonderful attentive customer service staff:mad:. I'm goin!!!!!!

9. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

LOL LOL LOL Paul you are a proper Brummie lol!!!!

Come a bit further down the road towards the city, and there are loads of Mini marts with heinz beans, HP sauce (proper brown stuff, awesome on the Egg sarnies) marmite and decent bread. No power issues here too.

Your not that far from me i dont think, but it sounds like a diff world lol!!! Im not far from the chinese embassy.

However as mentioned before the car prices are ridiculas!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today i have been to see a 1992 Fiat Panda, that would be no more than £300 in Brum. Here?????.............$4500. Just insane.

As for the mower, if anyone sees one i think the time share idea is a good one, and would happily split / third / quarter the cost.

Customer service i think is ok. How long have you been out of the UK?? My phone wouldnt call out last night. At 2230 i called Laos Telecom. An English speaker answered and cured the prob straight away.
    In the UK i would have spent 1 hr listening to music, then been greeted by an indian whos English is worse than my Laos, had 45 Mins of trying to spell out my name and clear "security", then been told that i need to be sentto a different department that closed 10 mins ago.
    I dont miss it at all!!
    We should meet up and have a good winge at the world sometime.

10. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

I actually found HP sauce, it was 26000 for a small bottle, out of date Heinz beans were 20000 and a block of cheese with a sell by date of April 2012 still for sale!. I agree with the lawnmower timeshare idea, its finding the elusive beast in the first place!. We want a car something like an old Vitara or similar - there is just no point getting anything even remotely HALF decent the way they drive here. I want to try to get my money back from that lyin' toerag that sold me that crap LDTV:mad:, he lied to me and thats never a good start!. As I said I guess I am slowly (very, very, very, very,) coming to terms with the fact that the words "reliable", "punctual", "honesty" "considerate", good driving", "law abiding", "accurate", "health and safety", "sell by date" have a whole new meaning here or they simply just dont translate!:confused:. I originally left the UK in 1994 but went to the U.S first, then New Zealand, returned to the Yuk (sorry UK):oops: in 1996, put up with it until 1997, left for Australia and stayed there until they kicked me out in 1999. What I was doing to get around the visa crap was to wait three months then fly out of Oz to NZ and back again the same day - on entry to Oz they would grant me another 3 month visa automatically - this lasted until 1999 when someone at Immigration "noticed". So I did a runner! to Japan, from there I went to Thailand and it was on a flight from Bangkok to Ko Samui I met my wife, I didnt know it then tho. She told me about Lao and what a wonderful place it was so I decided to "give it a couple of days. It was wonderful. I asked her to marry me after 2 days and she did!. I was en route to China but never got there! I stayed in Lao for nearly 2 years. Lao was a totally different place back then Namphou was just a muddy field!. Somebody has been here since and introduced the motor car to Laos. I wish I could pay them a visit!!!!!!:confused: Deffo go for a beer - thats the one thing that does exactly wot it says on the tin!!!!!:):D:eek::confused:

11. JK

Well as far as the lawnmower goes, I'd be keen on getting one soon so I can keep the grass down to an acceptable height for the kids to play on... The wife said the mowers she saw in Thailand started at 15k baht for the smallest ones with a bag for clippings. The bag is hard plastic though, not the mesh sort I'm used to... The larger ones are somewhat more pricey with some getting up to 25k baht. She didn't recognize the brand name though so I would have to do some more research if everyone is interested...

I stay nearby the Vientiane International School so if you guys are relatively close by it may work out pretty well... just as an aside I am used to paying about 100 US for a reasonably sized, reliable mower in the states... if we can get three or four interested parties at the minimum I think we could get the price down to an acceptable level for everyone. Let me know what you think and I'll see about checking around on prices and brands next time we go to Udon or Nong khai...

12. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

I think a bloody good idea would be a group of us by a lawnmower. I would only cut my grass once every two weeks anyway, the house is rented so I would be totally flexible about dates/times etc. The only problem I can see (I'm a brummie, so we always look on the black side first!) is moving it from one place to the next as I dont have a car and I am never likely to get one either at these ridiculous rip off prices, if I were lucky enough to ever be given a car I wouldnt use on these roads with all these lunatics! (unless it was an Abrams or M1). I have a little Ko Lao Sonata phut phut at the moment with no clutch, shit brakes, strip the gears box but at least the wheels are round which was a pleasant surprise given the way it seems so acceptable here to be either "economical with the truth" or just spout utter bullshit because no one gives a f***, either way I would definitely be interested in a "time share" lawnmower idea. I dont really know the details but I think a petrol mower that collects the dross afterwards (Honda, Flymo), ( JCB???? maybe not!) How about a comittee meeting at the beerlao factory!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

13. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

I ride down from the army camp:rolleyes:down Thadeua rd into vte and then out to Dong Dok. Had a look at the shop on Asean, its full of angry wasp things on a stick! does anybody else agree with me that they all sound like very angry wasps? oh never mind the analogies?.. The ol' bat is visitin' soon so I gotta show her the wonders of Lao. Any idea's? it wont be walkin' talkin' 'drivin' that just aint recommended. The roads are used by people who cant even spell,let alone communicate - the roads are a death trap and guaranteed "stairway to heaven"status. The internal combustion engine was a development, so was the wheel and fire but just who, who, who, who, decided it would be a good idea here?. If you think I am being "negative" and "pessimistic" just look at them!. I had my 4 year old daughter on the motorbike with me today, we were just ridin back along Thaduea doin' 50kph (thats retro speed) a white Toyota Vigo came screamin' up behind us flashing lights and blasting the horn - they are just "brain unaware", I could outdrive any Lao "driver" in any situation, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, 4x2, 4x4,even bloody roller blades, mind you, so could Jasmine! (she's 4). Who, just who, decided to introduce the internal combustion engine here?. MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.:eek::mad::D:p:)

14. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

Guys a meet is in order, i know me and Paul are pretty close, infact only a mile maybe 2 away. I have a car, but its Sh1t little BYD FO (FO must stand for Foxtrot Oscar) thats what i feel like shouting all day everyday im driving it around. Happy to cart the mower about though. Lawn has just been sanded so a few weeks before i need it. Happy to throw in to buy it though.

Paul are you just before the roundabout on the edge of Sisattanak??

I know what you mean by the changes here. First trip was 2000 and it was still jungle. Then came back and met the wife (downhill from there) in 2007, still semi jungle, no roads. Now its like mini BKK, well will be in a few years.

15. JK

Let me know when and where and I'll be there...

16. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

Our little lane is in between a mini mart called "Chinaimo" and two small wooden shacks, before that are two nightclub type places, one called RR and one called 99 before that is a petrol station "LV" I think but not too sure. To get here head out of the heavin' metropolis along Thaduea Rd for about 7kms, past the Oz embassy, past the Jap embassy but the lane is about 200 metres before the roundabout with the army camp on it, there used to be a clock tower on the roundabout but its gone now, I suppose that broke too just like everything else does here!!!!;)

17. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

18. Petrus47

Had'nt much time, but I've seen 3 different lawnmowers at Global House last friday.
    If I have time, I'll try to pop in again tomorrow.

;) Pierre

19. Petrus47

Global house today:

2 electric devices : repectively 4.890 and 5.490 THB
    1 gasoline device : 7.190 THB

:rolleyes: Pierre

Photos-0119.jpg

20. JK

Not a bad price... although I have one of this brand's electric trimmers and it lasted all of around 3 months before the motor quit. I used it only for trimming along the edge of the wall and driveway and don't think I abused it to cause it to die so quickly. Tried around town to get a replacement motor but no one sells them... so I would be hesitant to buy one of the electric lawnmowers.