Looking for a car

Discussion in 'Cars for Sale' started by Jason G, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason G

Jason G Member

2. Jason G

Jason G Member

Hi,

Still looking for a cheap car.

For my price range if I want something nearly new I'm looking at BYD's and Chery's. Can anyone who has owned one of these give me their opinion on reliablity/issues with these manufacturers?

Though any age/model will be considered.

If you have anything please PM message or email me jason.garside@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks!

3. RunBear

RunBear Member

go for an old KIA or a Hyundai 100 times better than a new Chinese one.

4. Jason G

Jason G Member

Cheers Runbear,
    That's what I'm thinking now as well, however the misses (a Laoation) would rather have something that looks new and shiney than something that's going to be reliable and last...

5. Jean-Pratice

Jean-Pratice New Member

It depends.

Let's think about it. If you pay 25,000 or 30,000 USD for KIA or Hyundai then you can use it for 10 years, on the other hand, you pay 12,000 or 13,000 USD to buy Chinese car then you can use it for 6 or 7 years.

If you buy a car with expensive price and when you want to sell it as second hand, you have to sell it with expensive price as well. Truly, nowaday, people in Laos doesn't want to buy second hand car because of they just pay 8,000 USD for installment and then they can drive brand new and luxurious car .

I have used Chery's for 5 years but it is still reliable. I just drove it to Pakse and came back without any issue. Or even when it has problem, the price of its spare part is drastically cheaper compare to others' beside that, Chery has it own after sale service (I'm not sure about BYD's) which is joint service with Kolao at Savang village.

Cheers!

6. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

No need to spend that much on a Korean car. Picanto is only a few thousand more than the Chinese brands at around 14k. If your budget is limiting you to only the Chinese brands I have heard more good things about Chery than BYD, although I do not have any direct experience with either brand. I have driven a Changan ( I think that is the brand) van several times and would not recommend it due to the many issues it had even when less than six months old. From my experience with used cars here in Laos, it is definitely true that the Chinese brands can be quite hard to sell used and you will get significantly less for them than a Korean or Japanese brand compared to purchase price. It is also important to know that with the ability to finance new cars ( and not used ones) many customers are skipping the used market and buying new. You can find some decent values with used cars but it takes patience and a lot of time looking, but most of the used vehicles worth purchasing don't exactly fit into the shiny and new looking category. If they do then they end up costing just as much as new anyway...

7. RunBear

RunBear Member

Chinese cars are not safe to protect you even when they are on 30km/h speed. they are not well built.

cars are cars. I saw a brand new (not yet plate) Toyota Fortunal which was parking in VIS parking lot....then POMB! an old car reversed, did not see it somehow, a big crush.....why do I buy a brand new and expensive and shiny for?

8. Kenneth Schminner

Kenneth Schminner Member

If you're going to purchase a BYD or other Chinese cars, I would probably buy it second/third hand for dirt cheap price than pay a full price for a brand new one. Even the brand new ones break down within months, therefore may as well buy ones that's already gone through the breaking-in or breakdown process and save the rest of the money for another eventual breakdowns.

I think you can purchase a 2 year old BYD's for as little as $5,000 or maybe less. Another thing, don't get in a wreck with these Chinese cars.....

RunBear likes this.
  9. vistalife

vistalife Member

Have you consider leasing plan (3 or 5years) for a reliable korean car ?

Otherwise, there are a lot of 2nd hand cars coming from Japan...
    Toyota wish, toyota jazz, Honda odissey 8000 - 10000$

10. vistalife

vistalife Member

I wonder what is the price for a kia picanto or chevrolet spark

11. JK

If I remember correctly, the Picanto is around 14k. Not sure about the Spark...

12. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

In what matter can you trust a second hand car now, when you know their import seem forbidden and they are still coming as "spare" parts and "reassembled" here? :confused:

13. JK

As with anything... Buyer beware.

14. Petrus47

So!
    Why would you not go for a Jeep. I'm using it on a daily basis.
    There are lots of them circulating here in Vientiane.
    Mine was bought five years ago.
    It has brought my family and me twice to Luang Prabang, three times to Xieng Khouang (Phonsavan), once to Pakse Champasak & Wat Phu, to Kong Lor river cave and Thakaek and recently to Sam Neua.
    I must admit its not just as comfortable as all those new cars, but who cares :D
    As long as I can trust it, I'll keep it and by the time passing I'm gaining experience.

15. Jason G

Jason G Member

Guys,

Thanks for all the responses and advice on this.

As expected the jury's still out on what the best cars to get on a limited budget.

I'd have been quite happy with an older car/jeep. However the misses wears the trousers.....

So we've just got a not so old Chery Fulwin. So far seems a good and decent car.

However........on the assumption it could break down - does anyone have any numbers for mobile mechanics who can come out in the event of a breakdown?

Thanks,
    J

16. Petrus47

Try this number if you or someone else can speak lao: 021 214713 within working hours!
    They came to my house already. Unfortunately no english speaking :confused:
    Garage Phothong.JPG

17. Jason G

Jason G Member

Thanks for the number!! :)

18. Petrus47

Slow connection? :confused:

Jason G likes this.
  19. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

Hi, i had a BYD for about 3 months on loan, a FO.

No problems with it at all. Im sure in the long run there may be, but the one i had was great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.