[Closed] Looking For A Motorbike/scooter For Sale In Pakse

Discussion in 'Bicycle, Motorcycle' started by jjjesssicaaa, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjjesssicaaa

jjjesssicaaa New Member

Hi all,

I am looking any two wheeled vehicle for sale in Pakse, preferably of Japanese origin. I need to find two bikes, so if you have or know of anyone selling a small motorbike or scooter (100-125cc) please contact me. I will be based in Pakse for the next 12 months.

Cheers,
    Jess.

2. codemonkey

codemonkey Active Member

Not many people around here live in Pakse I'd say. Just look at local minimarts for ads or consider buying a new chinese bike cheaply if you're not planning to stay many years.

3. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

Close to the old french bridge there is a shop that rent bikes. They are friendly, speak english and (if you are lucky) they may have a bike to sell. You can contact them at 020 5553 3669.

I often have problem with cops in Pakse. They stop me one time for an imaginary fault when and tried to get money from it. Another time they refuse to act against a Touk Touk driver that had fooled 5 lao people and me. Don't want to draw generalisations but be careful...

Except that, Pakse seems like a nice place to live. Would love to have your feedback on living there!

4. codemonkey

codemonkey Active Member

What did the Tuk Tuk driver do?

5. jjjesssicaaa

jjjesssicaaa New Member

Thanks for the advice Olivier. I'll give them a buzz to see if they have anything available. Apparently falang can purchase bikes, but you need to have the right visa and be registered with your village headman/woman etc. it's a bit of a process, but it can be done. I don't want to buy a Chinese bike, I'd rather something that I can resell/feel confident riding.

And yes, we have been warned about the police. Nothing has ever happened to me (yet!), but they usually get people around the French bridge as it's one way and it can be a bit confusing when it's your turn to cross. If you can speak a little Lao it really helps, it kind of startles them, then you just smile and ride away quickly before they fine you haha!

I know there isn't much info about pakse on this site, hence me asking questions :p

6. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

That day I was just back from a three days work trip in Samuoi District where I had seen young kids dangerously dig roads with metal detectors to find and sell bomb scrap.
    It was a shared Touk Touk and the driver was suppose to bring us from Pakse Southern Bus Station to different in town locations (I had specified a place close to the Mekong bank) but brought all of us to the market instead. The five lao people were not happy and complained rightly and loudly as they were in their rights and 20,000 Kips can be a lot of money here.
    I went a step further and refused to leave the Touk Touk. After trying unsuccessfully to get what I had paid for, I asked to go to the police and then shout loudly "Thief thief" (in lao), pointing at the guy in the middle of the crowded market. He finally accepted to bring me to police officers. I explained my case (in lao) to 6 police officers that were gathered close to a market shop. They didn't say a word and did barely look at me, refusing to step up.
    I finally gave up, took my stuff, get down from the Samlo and continue to shout "Thief thief" at the Touk Touk driver (still close to the police). The Touk Touk guy drive away so fast that he almost had an accident.

Great, you are a pionier! ;)
    Jessica, if you need a great massage after climbing the Vat Phou, don't miss the spa in Champassak: http://www.champasak-spa.com/
    The french owner (Nathalie if she is still there?) build a very nice place and you can get a great great massage!

7. phil

phil New Member

There is actually quite a great, albeit small, expat community down here in Pakse; and yes, we also sometimes venture onto these Vientiane message boards when looking for stuff to buy or advice on ever-changing laws, processes and rules :)

I know of a used Honda 100 for sale and will have the seller give you a call if you're still looking.

Also, be sure to check out Bolaven Cafe. The manager there, Tan, knows many expats here and might have some tips for you.

A third option is on Thanon 46 (listed on Google maps as such...don't bother asking locals for directions). There are 2 classic, and restored, Honda cubs for sale.

Hope your short stay in the south will prove enjoyable and successful. Cheers,

8. jjjesssicaaa

jjjesssicaaa New Member

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply.

We ended up buying one new Kolao 110cc bike, but we are still looking for second motorbike. So yes please, have the seller call me or you can PM me their number and I can call them? I have met Tan last year, but since then I keep missing him at the Bolaven. I'll go in again soon to see if he's in. And cheers for the Honda cub info too. We'll check them out this weekend.

It seems like more and more people are coming to settle in the south, so even if we don't take any of these bikes, I know of three others who are looking right now, so I'll pass on the info.

Cheers,
    Jess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.