Looking For Best Value Olive Oil

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bryanforst, Mar 24, 2013.

1. bryanforst

bryanforst Member

Hey all,
    Any advice on where to go to get good prices on Extra Virgin and Virgin Olive Oil?
    For home use but we do use a lot of olive oil...
    Been to DMart, Home Ideal, Simuang, couple of other falang-style shops.
    Are there other places to get good quality oil at reasonable prices?

thanks...

2. AYMENTN

AYMENTN Member

what are the prices u already found ?

3. bryanforst

bryanforst Member

around 55-60,000 for half liter of EVO at DMart i believe, higher is possible ;-)
    Better prices for liter but not sure about the quality of some of the brands.

4. gone_east

gone_east Member

I think you've just about covered your options. Like most imported products, the prices are sky-high and they don't do deals here because they don't need to. Well, there is one good deal, if you can do it: live like the locals. Olive oil is so expensive here I simply don't buy it. The soybean is my new olive. I even make pesto with soybean oil now!

5. AYMENTN

AYMENTN Member

yep gone_east but soybean oil never can replace olive oil , for me i have here only 2 months , and i brought with me around 4 liters from my country to be sure about quality , i drink the olive oil every day morning it is my tradition

6. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Tesco Lotus (Nongkhai) today: 1 liter = 400-450 bahts :confused:

Market Hom Mai opposite Sengdara, I use to buy Latino Bella EVO at 83,000 kips
    / 1 liter.
    Good quality, but I don't drink it :D , just some cooking, salads, etc.

7. gone_east

gone_east Member

Petrus, the Latino Bello sounds like the best deal so far. 83 for 1 liter compared to the 60 for a 1/2 which Aymentn found elsewhere.

Aymentn, one more place you might want to check out, if you haven't yet, is the new market near the Thai Consulate in the "Vieng Vang Tower" building. Very nice place. I don't know about olive oil specifically, but I do know that their prices on a number of imported products are lower than any other place in town. Another plus is, the owners here smile and are friendly, which doesn't seem to be the norm at most of the more upscale markets. worth checking out if you haven't been there.

8. Petrus47

Looks like you're talking about K-Mart ;)
    They have a new location here:
    K-Mart.JPG
    But I can't remember whether they sell EVO or not.

9. Petrus47

Italian olive oil, best price ever found, 269 Thb at the Makro in Nongkhai:

Olive oil cheap.jpg

10. codemonkey

codemonkey Active Member

At the shop right across the bridge you can get very nice quality extra virgin olive oil (Colavita brand). I always get the 5 liter tin for 1240 baht, not sure about hte price for the one liter bottle. beats any tesco makro oil and believe me I've tried them all.

11. Petrus47

That makes it cheaper, indeed, but where is :
    :wideyed:

12. codemonkey

codemonkey Active Member

It's on the first house block after crossing the Friendship bridge to Nong Khai, even before the 7/11. It's ran by an australian guy and it's called Nong Khai direct supply. I found an old price list of his in my email, But it's an xlsx file which is not allowed by the forum. I'll upload it to google docs later if people are interested.

13. Petrus47

Thanks for that, I''ll have a look at my next visit in Thailand;)

14. Graham

Graham Member

This is arguably 'off-topic' (not about EV or V) and I almost feel like apologising for this suggestion, but for those who can't afford Extra Virgin, have you tried Pomace?
    It's the final extraction process of oil from olives, using heat (hence the 'cold press' sign on EV) and chemicals (which are retrieved afterwards), similar to how other types of cooking oils are extracted.
    The purists will scoff at the thought, and it's not great for drinking.
    However, it retains some of the health benefits of Extra Virgin, has less flavour (for recipes where other (more delicate) flavours are preferred), and has a much higher smoke point. I use it in my deep fat fryer and I'm very happy with the results.
    It's almost exactly half the price of Extra Virgin, so maybe worth considering, rather than soya, for example, for certain purposes.
    I stock EV and Pomace in my kitchen, as well as others (sesame is just amazing and so cheap in this part of the world, but I digress!), so that I can choose which one to use for which situation.
    I did a lot of research before buying some, kept an open mind, and it's working out well for me. My EV is lasting a lot longer now as I don't use it for everything.

15. Petrus47

Might be interesting.
    Does it have the same (non)cholesterol properties as EVO?
    Btw where do you find your sesame oil?

16. Graham

Graham Member

Hi Pierre,
    I think that some of the health benefits are gone due to the super heating extraction process. However, I can't imagine that the cholesterol level is affected... Ok, I checked the bottles; Pomace has 12g of Saturated fat, EV has 16g (per 100ml). Less saturated fat!
    Pomace also states zero Cholesterol. The brands are different; Fragata EVO, vs Luglio Pomace. I guess you'd have to compare the same brands to get an accurate result.
    However, the answer to your question is "yes", as the Pomace has zero cholesterol.

As for the sesame oil, not sure where I got it (I have a big bottle and a little goes a long way), but I think it's available in most mini-marts, and certainly in Home-Ideal, D-Mart. It's in a dark bottle with a dark red label and Thai writing. Normally found near the other Thai products such as Oyster Sauce, etc.
    It doesn't seem to have been classed as a 'farang luxury', and it's from Thailand, hence the reasonable price.