Looking For Loudspeakers

Discussion in 'For Sale, Looking For' started by Katja, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katja

Katja Member

Does anyone know a good place to buy good loudspeakers? I don't need the huge karaoke-party-loudspeakers, but a decent speaker system (incl. subwoofer) to listen to music / watch movies / connect to my guitar etc... Thanks a lot

2. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Katja,

There are some places where I've been here in Vientiane:

KPlaza in Dongpalane road
    "Chinese" markets, both, old and new
    Morning Market (Talat Sao)

But none of them could satisfy my request, I was looking for "good quality" HiFi:rolleyes: with some guarantee.

I finally bought a japanese "Onkyo" audio/video amp at the Central Plaza in Udon Thani.

Here are some links to help you further:
    http://www.findinlao.com/f/threads/...akers-to-connect-to-my-laptop.1381/#post-3174
    http://www.findinlao.com/f/threads/hifi-amplifier-loudspeakers.1313/#post-2860

Talat Sao, on Lane Xang avenue
    Talat Sao.JPG
    Old chinese market
    Talat Nongduang.JPG

KPlaza
    KPlaza.JPG
    New chinese market
    New chinese market.JPG

Olivier likes this.
  3. Englishman

Englishman Member

Its impossible to get hi fi here in Lao, the only shops I have seen in VTE sell chinese boom boom boom massive bass attack crap that gives your diaphragm an epileptic fit and annihalates the brain. For true Hi Fi Kef speakers are very good, Maurdant Short too. I built my own in the end with Kef B139 bass drivers, Kef B110 mid range and Kef T27 tweeters, the crossovers were from Sony (UK) that my mum sent from England. The actual cabinets I bought from Tandys (Radio Shack) flat pack. I really doubt you will find any Hi Fi here.
    A good amp such as an Audio Lab 40 WPC is ample - get from the UK. A good pre amp (only buy UK) again 30 -40 WPC is enough. Speakers only ever buy UK speakers, even Jap ones are tinny. Hungry for Hi Fi and hungry for some decent wheels.:hungry:;)

4. Petrus47

Well Paul,

You are wrong about your statement:
    ...but of course it would cost you a lot of money to come here and go back to Lgpbg:D

I visited the place and if you tell me this is not HIFI, I would say you know nothing about it ;)

Best regards from Vientiane,

Pierre

5. Englishman

Englishman Member

Well, I am gobsmacked. Thanks for the link. Valve amps are certainly the way to go with a good pre amp and then a power amp, Tannoy are still clearly the worlds best cabinet makers, not sure about the drivers though. I used to have a Lin Sondek turntable with an Ortofon pick up back in 'tax city' in the Yuk. Turntables are more or less redundant now unless you can get some original Deutsche Grammophon vinyl. Even WiFi is soon to be replaced with something called "EyeFi". CD's are already 'old hat' and they are on borrowed time now.
    Good HiFi is the same as buying 'surround sound' for a TV, the better the equipment the better it is at amplifying all the faults as well as the fantastiche Berliner Philharmonic:happy:!:D

6. Petrus47

Von Karajan conducting Beethoven symphonies :rolleyes:

7. Englishman

Englishman Member

Actually, I'm a Chopin addict and Simon & Garfunkel! mixed with The Doors, The animals, Stones, Clayderman although I do like some of the new modern stuff from the 80's:hilarious:

8. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

80s were a long time ago... Wouldn't exactly call it new or modern except when comparing to the other music you mentioned...:p:)

Believe it or not there has actually been good music made in the years since...

9. Englishman

Englishman Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention Peter Paul & Mary, The Seekers. Elton John is a bit modern but very easy listening. My wife (who is 14 years younger than me) and Lao likes Alicia Keys and I really like her song 'New York' the other modern one was Belinda Carlisle 'Leave a light on for me' and a girl called Adele singing a song called 'Someone like you'.
    I went to see Ralph McTell in London a few years back (quite a lot of years now I think about it), he sung "The streets of London", that was the day when you could sit down and listen to the music unlike now when security guards are needed and unconscious people are being pulled out of the crowd and being trampled to death. Anyone remember the days when music was for pleasure?. I did have a crush on Deborah Harry as a lad and went to see her at the Odeon in Brum in about 1979/80 but I think that was my last concert:singing:. I just dont think people will be listening to Ice Tea block or whatever his name was in 400 years time unlike the classics which are already over that. Call me a fuddy duddy but I'm right.:cool:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.