Motorcycle lessons

Discussion in 'Teaching & Lessons' started by Billz858, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billz858

Billz858 New Member

Hello,

Is there a service in Vientiane that provides lessons for new motorcyclists?

2. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

3. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

Don't want to speak for Paul... but as he was an instructor back in England maybe he would be interested??? I don't know of any motorcycle lessons provided in English but will keep my ears open... I took all the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) courses offered back in the states and rode big bikes for fun and as a daily mode of transport to and from work and the best advice I can give you here is to stay away from motorcycles... :(

If you must use a motorcycle here make sure you go somewhere like maybe the ITECC parking lot and practice on the bike until you are comfortable with the basic operation before going out into traffic. Avoid being tempted to ride the motorcycle the opposite way down one way roads as seems to be the standard here... It may be quicker to get where you are going by doing so but I don't think the reward is worth the risk. One of the biggest causes/contributors of accidents that a lot of people overlook is the maintenance of the motorcycle itself. Take care of the bike and you will be better off for it. The MSF also teaches riders to SEE the road by Searching, Evaluating, and Executing... by constantly SEEing the road the rider can reduce the contributing factors that lead up to accidents. You can't count on drivers or even other motorcyclists here to do the same so you must be extremely vigilant while riding.

The following is a link to the the MSF library that contains information that may be helpful to you...
    http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl=2&action=display&pagename=Library

As we say in the states... Keep the shiny side up...

4. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

I had a Honda Baja here and my personal experience told me: always anticipate the worse can happen !!!

About: " Avoid being tempted to ride the motorcycle the opposite way down one way roads", I perfectly agree and I would not mind if this behaviour would not put your own live in danger, which is (nearly) never the case.
    I'm now driving a bicycle (in Vientiane) and each time I meet one of those guys, I stop alongside .:mad:

;)Pierre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.