Nice place outside Vientiane for a week end?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Orely, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Orely

Orely Member

Hello,

I would like to know some nice places to go for a week end or even a day.
    Not too far if possible, I mean one or two hours away.

Thanks,

Orely

2. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

Hi Orely,

The Rivertime Resort is 45mn outside Vientiane and a very nice place to spend the weekend. http://www.rivertimelaos.com/
    Barnaby, the GM speaks English+French+German+Lao and know the area very well. A very nice place to escape from Vientiane.

3. Orely

Orely Member

Thanks Olivier, I've been there last year. In fact, it is the only place I really know.

I confirm, it is a nice place, and Barnaby is very friendly, he came with us to visit the village on the other side of the river and we ended to a village "party" drinking beers at 10 am! :)

4. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

If you like to stay in a remote place (no electricity or fancy stuff except for the restaurant): http://www.dreamtime-laos.com/
    The retreat is 30mn/1h from Vientiane on the way to Pak Lai. Mike (020 7789 5721) live there and is a great host.

5. Orely

Orely Member

Thank you, I did not know this one, it seems nice.

6. Orely

Orely Member

Hello,

I've heard that there are some waterfalls close to Vientiane, in which direction are they?
    Something accessible by motorbike?

Thanks!

7. Barns

Barns Member

Thank you for the compliments!

There's also Nam-Lik Eco-Village about 80 km up Rte 13 North from Vientiane and Ban Pako about 25 km past Rivertime further up the Nam Ngum river.

There's also a posh place called Riverside in Thangon (go out on Rte 13 South and go straight on when you get to the roundabout in Donoune rather than turning right as you would to get to the SEA Games Stadium.

Out of the three I've only been to Ban Pako so I can't comment on how nice they are!

8. bll1234

bll1234 Member

My wife and I recently spent 3 nights at Nam Lik Eco Village. It's about 1.5 hours drive north on Rte 13. Honestly I have to say we were very disappointed.

The bungalow rate is $50 per night so we had certain expectations based on the price. The last kilometer of road to the resort is pretty much 4 wheel drive only, very washed out w/ deep ruts. We checked in and were taken to our bungalow, it had absolutely no view what-so-ever. We asked to switch to another bungalow and they put us in the ONLY bungalow that DID have a view. We were the only one's at the resort so it was an easy switch to make.

The water heater didn't work. And the water is pumped straight out of the ground - not sitting in a tank warmed by the sun all day. It was chilly! The locks on the doors opening to the balcony were broken and the entrance door was so flimsy anyone could have easily pulled it open. There were several holes in the wooden floor rotted out so big a raccoon could have climbed through them. The sheets on the bed were ripped around all the edges. And in the 3 days we stayed, our room was never cleaned. We had to take the towels to the office ourselves and ask for clean ones. Oh, and BTW, not one staff member spoke a word of English, French, or anything else except Lao. There was also no WIFI as advertised.

The food situation is bizarre. There is no menu. Every guest gets the same thing served for lunch and dinner. So if you have dietary restrictions or simply don't want to eat what's being served - tough luck! And if you don't speak Lao, you don't know what's coming. You just sit at the table and wait for them to bring a plate of food. And just about every dish tastes like cardboard. The cooks there must think foreigners can't handle spices of any kind. We eat 2 lunches and 3 dinners and the tab was 900,000 kip. And it's not like you have many options - you have NO OTHER OPTIONS unless you take your own food.

On the upside, there are many interesting displays setup around the office and eating area - snakes in formaldehyde filled jars, bugs of all sorts pinned to Styrofoam boards and aquariums filled w/ murky green water with some native fish.

In general, the resort was poorly designed, poorly constructed and horribly maintained. Customer service is non-existent.

We'll keep looking for a decent, affordable weekend get-away...