Not Pi Mai again!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaded in Laos, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Jaded in Laos

Jaded in Laos New Member

I can't believe it's that time of year again! I always say to myself I will get away at Pi Mai but I never seem to manage to plan anything. I end up facing a long stay stuck at home! And this year it looks like they're doing it for 5 days! What the hek am I gonna do? I could just manage 3 days but 5 days! Being attacked for 5 days on the trot! being stuck at home for 5 days is a nightmare! It's too much. Why don't they do it for 1 day?? Are there any all in holiday packages in town where I could stay in a hotel with a pool and gym, restaurant and shopping mall where i don't have to go outside? Help!

2. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

If you don't want to be here during one of the biggest holidays of the year, go somewhere else. Easy as that. Or better yet, go out and enjoy yourself and experience what, IMHO, is one of the most exciting and fun times to be in Laos. Maybe you will learn something new about the culture, the people, or yourself... Leave your expensive electronic devices at home and meet some new people... And of course get wet :)

3. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

Argh don't feed the troll James.

4. Jaded in Laos

Jaded in Laos New Member

Bah Humbug!

5. Clyde_T_Jenkins

Clyde_T_Jenkins Member

Anyone know some cool places to go to in VTE during Pi Mai? I think that I'll be in town this year and want to check out at least the Beer Lao Music Zone for sure. I think it'll be cool enough just walking around downtown, but does anyone have any suggestions?

6. JK

Don't ya know I eat trolls for breakfast? ;)

7. JK

We usually go to the different temples around town with some of our extended family. Not sure of the real Buddhist reason behind it, but you are supposed to visit up to 9 temples (9 being the highest single digit number so is the luckiest). Each year we go to some different temples and depending on how far we go it can take the entire morning. It is quite a different experience compared to walking the streets downtown with all the water fights. I am not Buddhist (or very religious for that matter) but I find it quite a nice time and it is interesting to see the differences in some of the temples. And you can take cameras as the water is only poured on you with your permission. Then we grab lunch and spend a day downtown getting soaked as the kids really enjoy that, waste of water or not...

8. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

Its fun for kids and I dont see a problem with that all. I notice this year the government has "issued" some new rules, some of them should just be common sense but I wonder whether the adults will take any notice - they dont take any notice of red traffic lights:stop: :dead: and still drive as drunk as skunks:hungover: so I hold out little hope they will refrain from fireworks, coloured water,:drowning: iced water:drowning: or dirty water:drowning: but I bet we will still be blessed with the mind numbing boom boom boom boom music:singing: until 3am - again.