Online lao lessons?

Discussion in 'Teaching & Lessons' started by René Rösler, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. René Rösler

René Rösler New Member

Sabaidii lao community,

I am new to this forum and would like to know if any of you can recommend me a good source to learn lao online and if there is someone who offers language class online (via skype). I am going to live and work in Luang Namtha starting in June this year:)
    Khawp jai,
    René

2. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

Welcome to the forum Rene. While I don't know of any Lao language instruction online of the top of my head, I will ask around to some of the Lao language teachers I know for more info. Maybe one of them would be interested...

3. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Hi René,

Nice idea to start learning lao before you come to the country ;).
    Unless you would know them already, here are some tips and tricks about lao language.

Nr 1: Be patient!
    This is based on my personal experience. :D
    Nr 2: Buy a lao/english or french dictionary.
    Not so difficult to find in a good bookshop.​
    Nr 3 : Download and install Lao Script for windows.
    It's compatible with MS Word and Excel. It allows you to type lao words, and "romanize" them. This gives you a good idea of the pronounciation of the word you typed. It will also install some nice lao fonts on your computer.​
    Nr 4: Surf this site will start helping you:

I will be pleased to answer further questions, as far as I can:cool:.

Wish you success!

Pierre

4. viajero

viajero Member

Sabaidee Rene,

Here is one of the resources I use to learn Lao:

http://2speaklanguages.com/ The price is about US$40 but they may still have a promotional discount of 15%.

This site has the US Foreign Service Lao language course and it is quite detailed in content... you learn to read, write and pronounce. Depending on your progress, it could take 250 hours or more to complete.

I'd be careful believing "Speak without an accent" as it is next to impossible to accomplish that feat unless your hearing is acutely attuned to different sounds, pronunciation stress, etc. and you can make your tongue go where it needs to go to speak the language correctly.

Also, while the site mentions "Practice with others online", there are several people wanting to learn Lao but no one seems to use the online chat part.

Overall I'd recommend the program; it is quite comprehensive and while some of the material could be updated, (the pdf pages are typewriter pages, not from word processing programs) it has been quite helpful.

There are also some Lao language learning books with CD's available through Amazon.

Lao is my fifth language, so hang in there and enjoy!

Cheers,

Viajero.

JK likes this.
  5. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

6. René Rösler

René Rösler New Member

Great, thanks Pierre and JK for the quick responspes. I already downloaded the laoscript and seems to be really helpful learning the alpabet and with the romanization how to pronounce each word.The french site also seems to be really helpful and indeed lots of patience is needed to distinguish the differents pronounciations:)
    @JK if one of the teachers you know would be willing to give online classes via skype I would be more than happy to try it out.
    khawp jai lai lai,
    René

7. viajero

viajero Member

JK likes this.
  8. René Rösler

René Rösler New Member

thanks a lot Viajero, I will try it out and let you know how it goes:)
    René

9. Petrus47

The more options you have, the more chances to succeed, right? :D

This book (french/phonetic/lao), I got it back from lending,
    numérisation0002.jpg
    comes with 3 cd's.
    It's very useful when you read phonetics.
    Bought it at the FNAC.

Pierre

10. Elizabeth Elliott

Elizabeth Elliott Member

Hi there- if you've any spare time/money before you start then I really recommend the Candlelight language school in Vientiane. The teaching is really excellent, and the course good for both speaking and reading/writing. As a lazy English speaker I'm not great at learning languages on my own (or without somebody making me practice!) so it's been really worth it for me to come here to study. You can contact them on candle [at] nerdshack.com - the school administrator is called Kham and is very helpful. Good luck!

11. René Rösler

René Rösler New Member

Hi Elizabeth, thats great. I will try to get in contact with them, maybe they also offer classes online:)
    The replies so far have been really helpful, khop jai.
    René

12. Petrus47

Very good Elizabeth ;), one more opportunity.
    Mention also the french language center (http://www.if-laos.org/), where I learned my lao baba :D
    Three month daily courses for basic knowledge of lao. I studied there together with english speaking pupils.

If your courses are paid by your employer it's ok, but much too expensive now for people on their own.

13. Nerd

Nerd Member

I'm fluent english and Lao. I can teach you on skype. Email me at

b l u e 2 0 1 3 l a o s @ g m a i l . c o m

we can go from there ok

14. Ai 1

Ai 1 Member

Hi Rene, I've just seen that you are interested in learning Lao. I'm not sure if you already have someone to teach Lao. Luang Namtha is my hometown; I have BA in education majoring in English and work experience as a translator. I have Internet access. I can work with you and discuss more on culture of Luang Namtha people if you want. Currently, I am interested in working from home. Please let me know or send me an email to lae555@hotmail.com. Kind regards, Lae

15. René Rösler

René Rösler New Member

Hi Lae,
    thanks for the offer, I already found an online teacher and I have regular class here in Vietiane now. I will be leaving to Luang Namtha in two weeks and if you want we can meet before. I would be interested in knowing more about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.