Plant food

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul.Vientiane, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

This seems a really strange request but does anybody know where I can buy plant food for tomato plants and some bug spray to get rid of caterpillars. Does it even exist in Lao?

2. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

I grew several different types of tomatoes last year with great success using the rice shucks that are left over at the rice mills... Just take some bags and a shovel and they let you take as much as you like... No cost. I mixed the shucks into the dirt and the tomatoes grew like crazy, especially the cherry tomatoes. Just make sure the soil you are using isn't the reddish clay. If you don't want to do the mixing yourself they sell white bags of 'potting soil' at most of the nurseries for around 8000 kip per bag which is essentially the same thing. I didn't have any issues with caterpillars on my tomatoes, but they did hit some of my other plants pretty hard... I didn't look around for any kind of spray as I didn't want to use any chemicals so I just checked the plants daily and fed any buggers I found to the fish... As far as the tomatoes go, it is very important here to keep extra space between the plants to ensure airflow otherwise you will see fungus/mold kill the plants. If you must use 'plant food' several of the nurseries I've been to sell it as well as at most of the animal feed places... Thailand is another option as the stores there seem to stock a variety of plant food and bug sprays... Hope that helps...

3. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

Thank you very much, there is a nursery type place on Thadeua Rd, I will have a look. I have been pulling off these little lime green coloured caterpillars and they are relentless in their quest for food! unfortunately its not helping the flowers much! Thanks again;)

4. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

On Kouvieng bd opposite the growing "World Trade Center" there are some shops selling puppies, birds, fish, flower seeds, pet food etc etc.
    Coming from the morning market it's on the right side of the road before the french medical center and the COPE.

5. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

Hmmmm... Go there all the time and have never seen plant food... Must say I wasn't really looking for it there either so I easily could've missed it... If you do visit the shop on the end, say hi to Junior, the black Great Dane...

6. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

Please dont laugh here - I bought two bottles of Baby Bio out here from England but they are nearly gone now but I come into Vientiane off Thadeua that way and will certainly have a look.;) Thanks

7. bryanforst

bryanforst Member

I have used that "potting soil" from a few nurseries. It has looked black and rich but it hardened like there was too much clay in it and nothing really grew well. We want to start a fairly large set of pots and we cant do it with that soil - we dont have enough compost to mix in with it.

Where are the rice mills? Or do you know of a nursery that has really good potting soil?

thanks