Public Buses In Vientiane

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ruairi, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Ruairi

Ruairi Member

Is there anywhere I can get information on the public bus service in Vientiane? Routes, timetables, fares and suchlike? Just moved into a house in Wat Nak but don't have either a car or motorbike, so the bus would be useful if I had some idea of where to get it and when!!

2. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

I dont think even the drivers know where their going!

3. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

The big green buses go up and down Thaduea all day and can be flagged down just about anywhere you see them. I don't think it is very expensive but they do not go all over town. Someone else may have more information but that has been my experience. Might be worthwhile talking to someone at the bus station near Thalat Sao?

4. kandrews

kandrews Member

The Friendship bridge - Talat Sao green bus costs 6,000kip, as JK said they can be flagged down anywhere....I've never waited more than 20mins for one to come along Thadeua Rd. A green bus also runs regularly out to Don Dok...can't remember how much it costs but I'm sure it's under 10,000kip. A small tatty grey bus/tiny white bus runs from the garment factory close to the Russian Embassy along the 103 hospital road to up near Joma Phonthan ...it costs 2,000kip. I reckon you can get pretty much anywhere by turning up at Talat Sao and asking nicely :)

Olivier likes this.
  5. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

There is an electric shuttle (white, small, 12people) going from Donepamai to the Talat Sao, passing near Ban Wat Nak:

Attached Files:

Ruairi and Olivier like this.
  6. san_vai

san_vai Member

It depends which side in Wat Nak you live, you get 14 no. bus mostly every 20 mins on Thaduea Road. you can travel to The Friendship bridge or Talat Sao either way. Just wave to stop them, pls dont say "I don't think even the drivers know where their going! " after few days even they will recognise you .... It take time to make them understand and Understand them. I would say use more land mark... there are more bus connecting from Talat Sao. 29, 33 etc
    for odd routes try taxies they are same price as Tuktuk, it take hard work first time to explain address then you can call same guy next time, its easy.

Olivier likes this.
  7. merlin152

merlin152 Member

I'm in Ban Thong kang (near the University Engineering Department). When I first moved into my house, I didn't have a car, but I got used to taking the no 32 Bus on a regular basis. All I did was to wait on the main road which the bus normally comes along and flag one down. It takes you to the Talat Sao Bus Station. The no 32 can either be a blue minibus, or an electric thingy (which looks like an extended golf cart). The price is fixed no matter where you get on or off, it cost me 2000 kip. It gets pretty cramp during rush hour and the buses aren't that frequent. But the drivers do recognise you after some time. Just remember to shout when you want to get off and don't forget to pay the driver!:)

Olivier likes this.
  8. sayfon

sayfon Member

Be careful the green buses , they drive on middle of the road and especially don't put the signals when they want to turn .

9. merlin152

merlin152 Member

I agree with that, but I don't think green buses are the only thing on the roads that drive in the middle and don't signal. My favourite is the motorbikes driving the wrong direction on the opposite side of the road. :wideyed:

10. san_vai

san_vai Member

FYI

Bus #29: Morning Market bus station to Patuxay and Lao National University (Dongdok)
    Bus #31: Morning Market bus station to Mittapab hospital (150) and Lao National University (Dongdok)
    Bus #33: Morning Market bus station to Thongkhankham market and Lao National University (Dongdok)
    Bus #14: Morning Market bus station to Buddha Park
    Bus #23: Morning Market bus station to Southern bus station

11. brutus_16130

brutus_16130 Member

From Talat Sao bus station to Dongdok (Lao University, where I live), it costs 3,000 kips and schedules are displayed on a board at the bus station.

The last one is at 18h00, and frequency is roughly every 20-30 minutes.

Ruairi likes this.