recommendation of Cable TV/ Dish service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bll1234, Aug 26, 2012.

1. bll1234

bll1234 Member

Can anyone recommend a Cable or Dish TV service based on the following preferences?

Discovery channel in English
    kids channels in English
    CNN
    American football
    HBO and other movie channels

We currently have the cable TV service most Lao households have - w/ 50-odd channels, including CNN, BBC, Australian TV a bunch of Chinese and Thai channels but would like to find something w/ more English language variety.

2. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

I have exactly the same problem, but mine varies in the sense that the cable TV signal was rubbish so it was later removed by the company (we didn't pay for it)The digital TV can best be described by saying "don't go there", they promise faithfully that you can get True sports 1,2,3,4, and Star Sports/ESPN in English YOU CANT, they are dubbed into Thai. When I complained about it because they sent me a fax quite clearly stating that these channels were available and were "badged" as USA (English)the attitude was "not our problem" and "we got your money" and "bugger off". I have made tentative enquiries about satellite now as this is the only option. The installation cost for TrueVisions is $300 (I believe) and the best package is the "Gold" one which is $55 per month (I believe)this includes the BBC option but you have to ask for it, they wont add it unless you say. That includes CBeebies, the BBC news, Cranford etc etc. The bad news is where you get it from, I just dont know. I have been told all sorts but no definite help. One man even told me that if you call the number your call is answered with a "What do you want" attitude, if, and its a big "if" you get to speak to the one and only person that speaks English be wary, his English is below "basic" and when they fit it dont try to understand him because half of the instructions are in a mixture of Chinese and Thai and the other half are a mixture of some form of English and Klingon. I hope this helps a bit, I am still waiting to find out if there is a shop in Vientiane that I can go and look at the options. Avoid digital TV because it isnt in English despite all the adds that tell you it is. We cant get cable because the signal is rubbish - they actually tried to say it was my TV! a flat screen 42" LG Plasma.

3. Bear

Bear New Member

Well, I bought TV program from Vietnam (they have a office here in Vientiane), I had one before but all in Thai, now I have 54 channels in English, two french, one German, one Russian. just all channel in English will have Vietnamese subtitle.

U can go to their office which is behide Laaos Telecome tower, to contact them, or you can contact me them i can give you their phone numbers. first year you pay 450usd included 120 channel, disk and information box, second year you pay 250usd (for a year)

Hope this can help you guys. Cheer! Bear!!!!!! run........

4. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

That news is great, do you have to pay a monthly fee as well or is it just a one off payment of $450 for the year 1 and 250 for year 2?. I will go there and see what they say.

5. Bear

Bear New Member

for one year only, not monthly, they have 3 packs i think. before i got this, i also went to Thailand cable company and it was so expensive. any problem you call they come and pay them 100,000kip for service, but I did not have any problem last 1 and half year.

6. bll1234

bll1234 Member

Bear, can you post the phone # of the Vietnam TV service you mentioned - in case I can't find their office. (got to love VTE, no house/business addresses)

7. House-Sit

House-Sit New Member

I don't have their office numbers, I have had only the guy's mobile number who came to set up program for me. I don't know address of that office either, just knew it was behide Laos telecome tower. You just phone them, they will come to your house and do everyting for about an hour, then DONE! 020 992 656 99 and 020 7798 2955. They are Vietnamese not sure they can speak english.

8. bll1234

bll1234 Member

Bear or House-Sit, I can't find the office for this TV service provider. Are you talking about the Lao Telecom tower on Lang Xane ave next to the Post Office? I've been around that building several times and there's nothing behind it except the employee parking lot. I tried calling the phone #'s you provided but they are turned off. Can you be more specific w/ the office location? Also, does this TV service provider have a company name?

cheers

9. RunBear

RunBear Member

Lost passwords for so long, finally got back last few days. I don't know the name of the street. But it is not behide the post office. their office is be hide Laos telecom tower, and ETL internet company, if you go straight we will see pagoda on your right handside, then you turn left, you go about 50m, you will see office on your left handside. It is belong to Vietnamese Embassy, it is branch of Vietnamese Radio stay of Vietnam government. Their phone number is working still. i just phone them few days ago to add money on my cable

10. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

Hi, does this company do any English language channels? I despair of LDTV or Lao cable. Thanks;)

11. RunBear

RunBear Member

Yes, they have 3 packets. 34 channels most in Vietnamese, 54 channels there will be 33 in English, with Vietnamese subtitle (we bought this packet). There are more than 10 news channels, 5 sport channels, National Geo, Discovery, TLC, cartoon in English. Worth it to have. and if you prefer to have more to watch you can buy packet with 72 or 120 channels with many more English channels.

Before we had old one from owner which was all in Thai. could not understand! frustrated!
    We did our math on this, so everyday we pay 8000K for this. hahahaha.

If you are a friend of JK, you could ask him to come to my house and check it out.

12. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

Do the English channels all have subtitles on? at the moment the much censored Chinese drivel we have has only CCTV news in English, its 24 hours (at least) out of date and their "English" is, at very best, "room for improvement". The movies are from god knows where (telkomm??) but in all four corners of the screen there are different logos or ads for other TV companies and with the subtitles at the bottom of the screen there is only a viewable picture of about 10cms. True Visions from Thailand is $55 a month (so I am told) and nothing has any ads or subtitles on to block the picture but if this Vietnamese one has ANYTHING in English WITHOUT subtitles then it has to be a "value for money" option to consider.;)

13. RunBear

RunBear Member

I am not 100% sure about subtitle, but i am sure all the news channels has no sub, discovery no sub, some movie channels have with sub, some don't. But sub is tiny small, doesn't bother my husband or he has never complained about it. I don't pay attention to sub either, we both watch and listen to english, and have never known of sub exiting.

14. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

OK, sounds like a good idea to me, I'll give it a go. I will call them or go their office. Where is the Lao Telecom tower and I can call in if they dont speak English and get some more information. Thanks:)

15. RunBear

RunBear Member

Do you know ELT internet company office? it is close to each other.

16. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

No I havent got a clue, I go by the road names or embassies, sometimes the hotels close by because they usually have a website with a google map on. I know the Vietnamese embassy, its up past Patouxai but where I would go from Patouxai - I know not:confused:

17. RunBear

RunBear Member

OK, from Patuxay you keep going toward to 4 cross section where Laos Viet bank in front and left corner, you turn right and turn in the first right turn you will pass ETL internet company, then go straight, you will see a pagoda, then turn left from there, go about 100m you will see small office on your left hand side. it is written in Vietnamese i think. good luck

18. Paul.Vientiane

Paul.Vientiane Member

Thanks, I'll give it a go later.;)

19. Krish

Krish New Member

Bear, I tried calling the 2 numbers posted for the Vietnamese company providing cable TV service. Neither phone was operational. Are you aware is the company is still functional or if the numbers have changed?
    Krish.

20. RunBear

RunBear Member

Left Laos for more than a year back to Canada now. Not sure those two phones are still working... it was worker's mobile. But follow direction you can find Vietnam Radio Station. Or try this phone number (not sure which -but you can try both, he speak Vietnamese and Laos): 020 55386688 or 0207798 2955

Petrus47 likes this.