Recycling In Laos

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olivier, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

Plastic bottles and metal are sought by people so it goes in a separate bin. I have also taken the habit of doing a compost and I usually bring back to France my used batteries so that they will be properly recycled and don't "accidentally" end up in the Mekong.

But when it come to glass bottles, nobody seem interested in getting this stuff. How do you dispose of your bottles of wine? Do you have advices on recycling in Vientiane and Laos?

2. bryanforst

bryanforst Member

I have been lucky enough to simply put the bottles out with the trash each week. Either someone comes by to pick them up or the VTE trash guys do, but at the end of the day they are gone. Its not a lot, 2-3 bottles a week....

There is a recycling center near us (Same road as the Thai embassy, go towards Sapangmore, take right across from the new horse field (?!), they are on the left). Not sure if they take wine bottles but they might....

3. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

We separate our recyclables from the trash but the people that pick up the plastic and metal leave the empty glass bottles behind every time... Even when we cart the recycling to the centers they don't want the glass bottles... I haven't found anyone interested in the glass. Maybe a business opportunity?

4. Olivier

I just learned that some time ago (sic.) people were buying bottles for 100 kips a piece. Can guess that the revenues of this business were too small, even for the poorest.
    It will take some time before the GoL is going to invest in recycling. Hopefully these carbon credit schemes will help move things.

5. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

As far as I know the plastic and metal recyclables are sent out of the country, so maybe the cost of shipping the glass is too high...

6. Olivier

There is a plastic recycling factory close to Vientiane:
    For the metal, there might be a Vietnamese connection (su lek ay! as some Lao people say to make fun of Vietnamese accent).