Safety Warning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davep654, Sep 24, 2012.

1. davep654

davep654 Member

Cycling home last night just past 8pm, close to Wat Si Saket/Mahosot hospital, a man on a motorbike tried to grab me (i didn't have a bag with me, so he wasn't after that) anyway I fell off my bike hard. smashing my face and various body parts on the road.....I got away with cuts, bruises and a broken tooth.
    There were two men on the motorbike, which fled the scene at speed.

So as with anywhere Vientiane has it's share bad people....
    As much as I love my bike (and need the exercise!) I recommend taking a tuk-tuk after dark.

2. PWC

PWC New Member

Same here, I had a camera grabbed about 2 weeks ago near the MRC office. Early evening with lots of people about, yet no-body made any effort to stop them or even take the number of the bike.

Same people is my guess.

3. Bear

Bear New Member

Same to my husband's case. He had a bike-ride on the river side about 9pm near to the Iron Man. there were two Laos men who looked like security people (one with a gun and one without). They jumped in front of my husband and asked for his passport. My husband did not stop, kept going forward, and went fast home. since he did not have any more bike ride.

4. davep654

davep654 Member

Just realized I posted this message using my partners user name. I'm an English woman named Kayleigh. Rather than a bloke called Dave!
    So although everyone should be careful, I'm very concerned that I was targeted as a woman.

Although many people drove passed (I was laying on the pavement, covered in blood) of course there are good people out there too. I would to thank the two young med. students who helped me to the hospital.

5. Chloe

Chloe New Member

It's my first journey in Lao. People told me that it's a wonderful country, very quiet and without real danger. But on saturday, in the beginning of the month, I had an accident. I decided to go to the market, close to the hospital 103. It was late in the morning. Two guys on a motorbike wanted to stole my necklace. I fell of my bicycle. My dress was torn. I had blood on my face, my knees, my arm. I couldn't get up. People came to help me and a tuk tuk picked me up at home. When my son saw me, he cried a lot. Now, if I'm a little bit late, he's still scared not to see me again. I try not to show him that I'm scared too, but it is not so easy. Now, he spends all his time to check if the doors are closed. It's a bad time to begin a new life here.

6. siosan

siosan New Member

I have two friends who have had serious bike accidents by hitting dogs. Be careful of dogs crossing the road or running after you. Do not spend much time in Aek Udorn Hospital if you have a serious head injury. Take road ambulance directly to Bangkok. Bumringrad will follow CDC Guidelines to treat you.

7. Bear

Bear New Member

Oh Dogs, I hate dogs here, my husband and my daughter got bite by dogs (in 2 varied times), had to get shorts, horribly with that vaccine, could not concentrate for a month. If I could I would kill them all, they are just like wild dogs.

8. PWC

PWC New Member

Hmmm Dogs can't help themselves, people can.

Another friend informed me about another bag-grabbing incident Vientiane. She cancelled bank cards etc but was then phoned up by someone saying they had her bag and belongs and wanted to return them. However, she go suspicious when this person was INSISTING on delivering them to her home, and not just meeting somewhere about town. Just trying to find out where she lived so they could burgle the house too.

Of course she refused, given the the house keys where in the bag she had grabbed.

Another warning for anyone becoming the victim of these complete cowards.

9. Olivier

Olivier Admin Staff Member

I would advise to inform the police in these matters. It 's not 'CSI Vientiane' but when I was robbed, 2 years ago, I went to the police with some informations and they were able to catch the guys involved and get me back a valuable computer. As I am a 'polite' guy, I went on giving 200,000 LAK as a 'reward'.

With ASEM coming, government might take securities issues very seriously.

10. DnD

DnD New Member

About dogs:

I was cycling home late one night up the road to That Luang (Rue 23 Singha). Near the top, two dobermans started chasing me. One bit my leg and sent me spinning to the ground. Luckily the owner showed up when I was on the floor and let her dogs in through the gate of her house. I tried to complain to her, but all I got was a sleepy wave.

If she had just locked up her dogs at night, it wouldn't have happened! Remember to lock up your dogs at night people!

11. laoseb

laoseb Member

The best solution when chased by dogs, is to stop the bike. If you try to escape they'll think that you're afraid of them and it will excite them to chase you more. When dogs realize that you're not afraid of them, they leave.
    I've tried many times to stop my bike, just standing in front of them, looking into their eyes and it's enough to get rid of them.
    Once I've this issue with 2 Rottweilers. I was walking in front of my own house, when 2 big Rottweilers came to me barking. Knowing that I had no chance to sow, I stood in front of them and they finally left. I was really afraid, but the point is not to show them.
    Like many things in this country, is a matter of appearances

12. kandrews

kandrews Member

I agree with the above apart from looking the dog in the eyes, an aggressive dog may see this as a threat ie. a reason to attack.

Of course it would be safer for both the dogs and cyclists if owners keep their dogs in a yard where possible.

Personally I'm a lot more scared of scumbag men than any dog!