Vehicle required $10k or less

Discussion in 'Cars for Sale' started by navydoubs1, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

Hi,

Recently moved from the UK and need something in the next few weeks.

Preferably a 4x4 or pick up, but anything considered.

2. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

Wish you luck... hard to find anything worth buying that is tax paid for under 10k... I think it will only get harder as time goes on as the government has stopped the import of used cars... only used cars coming in now are the ones that were cut in half and imported as auto parts then welded back together after getting by the border... so be careful...

3. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

Yeah, i know. Im fighting a loosing battle here.

Dont know if i should just buy the cheapeast thing i can, a beetle or something and put the rest in the bank and save for a while. Dont want to do finance.

4. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

Is there a car mag here, one with cars for sale in??

My prob is im not even seeing any forsale.

5. JK

I've seen a few postings in the Thalat Lao paper, but mostly just on this site or the J&C expat site and in the minimarts like Simuang or Phimphone. Of course if you are really lucky you will see some vehicles for sale alongside the road while driving or biking past. But in my experience over the last four years most of the vehicles under 10 k are white tax unpaid plates.

Depending on your needs, a Beetle could work or there are quite a few Hyundai Porters for sale anywhere from 6-8k and up. Most of the porters available at that price have been run pretty ragged though. We finally broke down and put in an order for a new 4door Porter 2 that costs 17800 with full tax. Should see it about three months from now as it has to be shipped in from Korea...

6. JK

I'll keep my eyes open for you...

7. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

Ive been given a copy of the Thalat paper today but its from back in Sept. Where can i find this months, ive looked in most of the mini marts and cant find it??

Ive had a look and seems like there are a few options, ranging from a 1yr old Kia Picanto, to a 1970's Series 2 Landrover, which is also the car i learnt to drive in on fields as a 10yr old back in the UK.
    A Beetle was my first road car in the UK so for nostalgia reasons im tempted, not sure it will look that great turning up for meetings though. 2010 Kia Cerato at 110,ooo,000 is around 10K i think. Might be ideal!

8. navydoubs1

navydoubs1 Member

Great maths on my part there. Its actually about 14k lol!

9. Kenneth Schminner

Kenneth Schminner Member

I have an Isuzu Rodeo SUV LS 4WD that I'm selling, $13,000. It came from USA and is in excellent condition. I personally own this SUV while in USA and made sure it was in perfect mechanical condition before I brought it to Laos. It was a pain in the ass just to get it here and get it registered (yellow plates). It has a gasoline V6 engine. For Laos standard, it's not considered a gas-efficient vehicle.

If you know of anyone that may be interested, please let me know.

10. Tony

Tony Member

11. Clyde_T_Jenkins

Clyde_T_Jenkins Member

I just bought a functioning Jeep in very good condition for 110,000 baht, or just over $3,584. From my searches, Jeeps range from 100,000 -> 200,000 thb for a decent one (if you want a fancy one with giant tires and a stereo system it will be more).

The way I found it was, literally, looking around for a jeep and asking people if they wanted to sell. I do know of a guy who has 2 Jeeps (good to go, new diesel engine (Toyota)) for 135,000 baht ($4,399). He wants to sell, his business is fixing up and selling Jeeps. If you go to the point in the map you should see it. It's a big jeep with a sale sign on the back.
    Jeep location.PNG

12. codemonkey

codemonkey Active Member

Any idea what kind of fuel economy those jeeps would get? I think it's not pretty, but how bad?

13. Clyde_T_Jenkins

Clyde_T_Jenkins Member

My guess would be what you would expect...they aren't green machines. However if it has a diesel engine the fuel should last longer than unleaded.

14. JK

take it easy on the throttle and stay away from the huge off road tires and it won't treat you too bad... also depends mightily on what size engine they put in and, if it is carbureted, what size carb they used...

15. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

To give you an example, my Jeep has a 1.600 cc Hyundai diesel engine and it takes +/- 8 l for 100 km.
    I've been driving to Luang Prabang, Xiengkhouang and also to Pakse with that.

16. Kenneth Schminner

Kenneth Schminner Member

Those jeeps are a good deal, based on the price. Are the taxes paid for and have all of the legal paperworks to roam around Laos and Thailand without any problems?

17. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

No problem for Thailand but you need an extra insurance (+/- 100 usd/year for maximum coverage) and the customs yellow book (you get this close to Mahosot hospital and New Chipseng (honda))
    And in Thailand you have to put safety belts.

;)Pierre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.