Wanted - Large People Mover 9+ Seats

Discussion in 'Cars for Sale' started by Deborah, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deborah

Deborah Member

We are a large family relocating to Vientiane in May 2013 and we need to purchase a large people mover with a minimum of 9 seats. Looking for a good, used vehicle with taxes paid up to $10,000 USD.

Please email any suitable vehicles with description and photos to

deborah_bishop@rocketmail.com

2. vistalife

vistalife Member

You can easily find on Vientiane : Toyota wish or Honda odyssey for this range of price. I think it's 8 seats + 2 extra seats

3. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

Ahh... the trials and tribulations of a large family. Takes me back to the days when my six siblings, my parents and I travelled around in a 1982 Honda Civic... that poor car....

I don't think the Wish or the Odyssey are quite that big... mind you these aren't the Odyssey vans that are sold in the states (even they don't have 9 seats)... The Wish, Odyssey and similar may work for you if you have smaller children that don't require carseats but you won't have enough seat belts as, at the most, there will be only 7....

If you have 9 people you are probably going to have to get one of the older style Hyundai Starex (1st Gen) vans. Pros are they are relatively inexpensive to fix/get parts for and there are quite a lot of them around to choose from and can have up to 12 seats. Cons are they can need fixing quite a bit depending on how they have been maintained (generally not very well)... you may get lucky and find a newer style Starex (2nd Gen from 2007) but it will be most likely be quite a bit more than 10k USD (new they sell for around 25k USD tax paid)...

I have also seen people use their pickups to fit quite a few people (in the pickup bed) but I don't think I would personally go that route except in certain situations. Occasionally you will see models of vans and minivans that have been imported singly through the grey market but generally those are considerably more than 10k or in very poor shape. And to make matters worse it can be quite time consuming to get parts and find someone competent to work on that type of vehicle... even a Toyota Landcruiser wagon or troop carrier won't have enough seat belts but may have enough space for you... and will be more than 10k...

Lastly, and not that I am a real fan of this route, but the dealers here are offering financing on new cars (with quite interesting interest calculations as well). Depending on the length of your stay in Laos you may want to consider this option as you will have a reliable vehicle that you can sell when you leave. At this point in time, used vehicle prices are quite high, almost to the point of being as much as new... so it may actually be cheaper/less of a headache for you to drive new...

Good luck with your search

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Odyssey_(JDM)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_WISH
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Satellite

Deborah and Olivier like this.
  4. JK

JK Jack of all trades, Master of none

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.