Where To Activate B2 Business Visa

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Englishman, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Englishman

Englishman Member

I have been here for three years but have moved from VTE to LP. I have the business via "sponsor" letter but I need to activate it. I have been told that I have to go from LP to VTE - cross the Friendship bridge - re enter Laos - fly back up to LP. In short - This cannot be right, can it? My employer paid the $950 for the B2 and now I have to pay another $400 for flights and a hotel for the night in VTE. Does anyone know if it can be done in LP or cheaper. I know getting the bus back down to VTE would be a lot cheaper but as the 13 is now a death trap because of the apalling state of the road, I think it safer to get a flight - Any ideas?

2. Observer

Observer Member

From what I have heard, if you have all required papers, I think you can ask for the service from travel agency in LP. Almost of them are providing the service for visa extension.

3. Englishman

Englishman Member

Thanks for your reply. I am aware that travel agents offer this "service" and it is at a cost but is for tourist visa extensions, basically they do the "running around" for you. I am looking to get my B2 activated, I already have the authority from the govt. My employer also says I have to leave Laos and the re enter either at VTE, HAN or CHX which is well over $1100 and more than the cost of the initial application ($950) This was for me and my daughter, my Lao wife doesnt need one. I will check with a TA. We are in the process of Lao citizenship for me and a family book but my visa runs out Sept 14th and as Lao "paper shuffling" can take years and at least 15 photographs, passing through every govt official in every other province. I am playing the safety card!. Thanks again

4. codemonkey

codemonkey Active Member

So you are going for citizenship, interesting. Are you aware of all the requirements which include giving up your current passport? I have not heard of people getting around that one by any means. Or do you perhaps mean permanent residency? That is much more attainable.

here is the full list to qualify for citizenship:

Article 14. Acquisition of Lao Nationality by Foreign Citizens or Apatrids
    Foreign citizens or apatrid individuals may acquire Lao nationality upon request if:
    1. They are eighteen years of age or more when requesting Lao nationality;
    2. They respect the Constitution and the laws of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic;
    3. They speak, read and write fluently in Lao;
    4. They possess evidence of their social and cultural integration [and their] knowledge of and respect for Lao traditions;
    5. They are in good health, and are not suffering from any serious infectious disease or drug addiction;
    6. They have not been sentenced by any court to imprisonment;
    7. They participate in the protection and development of the country;
    8. They have not caused harm to the national interest;
    9. They agree to relinquish their previous nationality (unless they have no nationality);
    10. They have [established] continuous permanent residence in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic for ten years before requesting Lao nationality, although the time limit may be reduced for individuals whose professional qualifications are at an expert level; [and]

11. They have professions and qualifications in certain areas and have a stable economic status.

5. Englishman

Englishman Member

My wifes Lao family have a relative, uncle I think who is "fixing" it and has not mentioned any possible problems regarding the Lao law, I just wanted to go for long term residency but he said he can get a family book and in 2020 "something" else (without specifying further). I am aware of the Lao time scale and by the time that happens I dont know exactly where I will be by then but I wont smell too good! (6 foot under).:dead:
    I really am trying to see if anyone else knows of a way I can activate this B2 without having to spend $600 on flights and a hotel in VTE tho, it seems such a trek and an expense.:woot:

6. meenaa

meenaa Member

When I finally got my CB1 visa (I had entered with a tourist visa, that was extended in Vientiane) I had to leave and re-enter the country again, too. I came to Vientiane and crossed the friendship bridge. At least my employer paid for the travel expenses!
    I was told that`s the only way to get a new category of visa. And it makes sense because we don`t `activate` a new visa. You have the relevant documents now but the visa has to be put in your passport. And where else would they do it if not at an immigration checkpoint? (Unless of course an employer would manage to get us a visa before we travel to Laos - like in any other country ;))

7. Petrus47

Petrus47 Moderator Staff Member

Hi there,

Would you have a "list" for this also?:rolleyes:

Pierre

8. Englishman

Englishman Member

So it looks as if I am going to have to get a flight from LP for the three of us, then a hotel in VTE, a tuk tuk to the bridge, cross the road and come back, get another tuk tuk back to VTE another tuk tuk to the airport and then fly back again. Just to get a sticker put in my passport. Just crazy.:confused: So its cost my employer $950 to get the "letter" from immigration office here in LP and another $500 - $600 to fly to a border crossing. There is an immigration point at the airport in LP it is madness that they cant do it here.:mad:. A nice little money earner for them and they didnt accept their own currency either! (insert hypocrite emoticon here).

9. Kenneth Schminner

Kenneth Schminner Member

LOL, I've had plenty of that experience. Another thing, let us know on how to get this Lao Citizenship of yours go. I did my research and continue to hit brick walls, unless I surrender everything and take on a new identity.

Petrus47 likes this.
  10. Petrus47

:eek::D:rolleyes:

11. Englishman

Englishman Member

UPDATE. We have been able to get slightly better tickets from LPQ - VTE - LPQ. $348 return for 2 adults and one child so its not $600 to get my passport stamped and we dont have to stop in a hotel overnight, we can do it all in one day. Makes be a bit happier but its still a con. I mean, if they can issue a tourist visa at LP airport why cant they issue a B2?. Has all the hallmarks of the falang pricing system!!:mad:

12. codemonkey

codemonkey Active Member

Petrus,

I don't know the official requirements, and everything I've heard varies wildly. There is also no official law as far as I can find, like there is for citizenship. I know TDS in Vientiane can do it for you for $5000. But since that is many many years worth of normal visas I will just take my chances and hope that they change the law within a few years (even just for people with a Lao spouse and child).

On another forum there was some story about a connection in Savvannakhet being able to do it for a few hundred dollars but no concrete details emerged.

Petrus47 likes this.
  13. viajero

viajero Member

Dear Englishman and family,

Just to let you know that, until very recently, were you in Canada on a temporary resident visa and wanted to process a permanent resident visa, you and your family would have to physically leave the country and come back.

The process now requires that your passports leave the country via courier, be processed by the visa section of a Canadian Embassy, frequently in Buffalo, NY, USA, then couriered back.

As you may be aware, thousands of people make visa runs simply because there is no way to renew a visa unless one leaves the country, and in your case you are changing visa status.

Hope this helps you understand that your situation is not some sort of Lao scam for farang.

Cheers!

Petrus47, Olivier and gabriel like this.
  14. Englishman

Englishman Member

I am not changing my visa status merely renewing my work visa. I have been here three years now but living in Vientiane where it was an $80 turn round to get the little sticker put in my passport but now i have moved to LP I have been told I have to fly back to Vientiane and go through the border check point on the Friendship Bridge. I just cannot believe that there isnt a little man somewhere here in LP that can put a sticker in my passport. He can give me a tourist visa sure enough but cant put a sticker in my passport. When I got married here in 1999 I was made to pay $5200 for special "permission" to get married to a Lao citizen, I was made to pay $90 just for a blood test and I stopped keeping a record after $6200. I do not mean to sound so negative but experience of dealing with the Lao govt has taught me to be very very wary and sceptical of any Lao govt official asking for money. I've got to say this - be wary of restaurants, hotels, tuk tuk drivers, market sellers, most shops too. Ive been fleeced many a time with the "falang tax".:hilarious::greedy::nailbiting:

15. Petrus47

Thanks for this info, I already asked TDS for my visa.
    I will try to update via my lao friend and will forward you any interesting feedback.

Cheers,

Pierre

16. Englishman

Englishman Member

Kenneth, Hi.
    I will keep you posted with how the visa thing goes. I am not worried about giving up a UK passport, it belongs to the queen anyway - not me. It was the queen who had Diana assassinated so I have little empathy or feeling toward the UK.
    The Yuk "silenced" the best two women that country ever had after Vicky. If only we could have had Queen Victoria, Margaret Thatcher and Lady Diana Spencer. Britain would have been truly "great" again. Now they are stuck with Scam-moron and wimps ($1700 for one roll of wallpaper, I ask you). The Lao family book and Lao passport is a goal of mine. True, the country needs a bit of work and it doesnt yet "tick all the boxes" but I am a patient and considerate sort of bloke so it should all be up and running by December.................2099!o_O